    controller rather the Promise?

    Thanks,
    QZ

    QZ, Aug 25, 2004

  2. QZ

    Ender Guest

    I have a WD 74g Raptor on the Intel SATA controller and it is set up
    as the C: boot drive. I also have two WD800JB on the Intel controller
    ATA primary port and they are set up as drives D and E. My Plextor
    DVDRW is on the Intel secondary port by itself and is set up as drive
    F. It all works fine and runs great. My Promise controller is
    disabled in the bios.

    I kept it real simple during install and only had the Raptor and the
    install dvd/cdrom connected during the initial XP setup. In the bios
    I simply followed the instructions on page 4-11 of the manual and then
    set the boot device priority to accomodate the XP boot cd as indicated
    on page 4-32.

    After everything was installed, I shutdown and installed the other two
    drives and then after they were detected by XP it was easy to
    re-letter them to D and E (the Plextor was sitting on D initially)
    using the XP Admin Tools > Disk Management Utility. Not much else to
    tell. It all works great!

    Good luck,

    Ender

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

    Ender, Aug 27, 2004

  3. QZ

    QZ Guest

    Even if I did that, the CD-ROM is ahead of the of the HDD.

    In the bios
    I did that. Would putting the HDD first help?
    I am looking at that now, it says it can't change the drive letter of the
    boot drive.

    I am going to be doing a re-install, so I'd like to get it right this time.

    Thanks,
    QZ

    QZ, Aug 27, 2004
  4. QZ

    QZ Guest

    I am going to be re-installing Win XP. On the first install the Primary IDE
    was C: Zip, D: CD-ROM, Secondary IDE: None, Third IDE (SATA) E: HDD. Is
    there a way to make the HDD C: while staying on SATA connection?

    Since I can't change the drive letter now, how do I do so in a re-install?

    QZ, Aug 29, 2004