P4C800-E DLX Front Panel Audio Connector

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Tony, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Need help

    I have a lian Li PC-6077 case.
    The front panel has the cables with the fiddly single pin
    connectors. Was able to buzz out the usb and firewire
    and sure they are connected proper. The audio, I am not
    sure. The wire connectors are labelled as so:

    Mic Data
    Mic Vcc
    Mic Gnd
    Ear Gnd
    Ear R
    Ear L

    I am sure the Ear R goes to Line Out_R
    and Ear L goes to Line Out_L as these two wires
    have two connectors on them to replace the jumper caps
    on the motherboard header.

    Where do the others go? Will there be damage if I use the
    trial and error method?

    Tony, Mar 6, 2004

  2. Tony

    Paul Guest

    For a microphone:

    Tip = Mic_Data
    Ring = Mic_Bias (1K or 2K ohm resistor to +5V, _not_ a direct +5V)
    Sleeve = Mic_GND

    For a stereo speaker/headset

    Tip = Left
    Ring = Right
    Sleeve = Ground

    The power on the microphone jack is for electret microphones. Some
    microphones will actually short Tip to Ring, and the 2K ohm pullup
    resistor provides the power. The resistor is on the motherboard
    and limits the current coming from +5V - the resulting signal is
    called a Bias, rather than a supply as such.

    Ref: http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/dynamic_to_electretinput.html

    The connections will look something like this:

    Mic_Data ----------- MIC2 X X AGND -------- Mic_GND and Ear_GND
    Mic_Bias --------- MICPWR X X +5VA (No connection)
    Ear_R -------- Line_out_R X X BLINE_OUT_R (Back conn won't work)
    NC X
    Ear_L -------- Line_out_L X X BLINE_OUT_L (Back conn won't work)

    Issues:

    You have one ground pin and two ground signals. Use your ohmmeter,
    to see if the front panel ground signals are already joined together
    at the front panel - this will make it OK to connect only one
    of the ground wires. If both are needed, about the only thing I
    can suggest, is using one of the two center-most pins of the
    AUX white 1x4 connector on the motherboard as a GND, as they are
    both supposed to be grounded and being part of the audio circuit,
    should be analog ground quality (if there is such a thing on a
    motherboard :) The pins may be too small to get a good grip
    via the case ground wire...

    Since your earphone connections don't have return signals to put
    on the two BLINE signals, the Lime connector on the back of the
    computer will not work, as long as the case front panel is
    connected to the 2x5 header, in place of the two jumpers that
    were there originally.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 7, 2004