    I really want a drive activity light for my new "latest high tech system"

    Anyone think of a work around?

    Martineau Gauda

    Martineau Gauda, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Umm, bullshit.
    I own this board, and i watch my damn yellow light flicker everytime i load
    a program
    or run an application.
    I only have my DVD-R and my CDRW on the PATA channels.
    and 1 SATA hard drive, so either its reading nothing out of empty drives, or
    its reading my HD, and working fine.
    The person you were talking to didnt understand your question, because it
    works.
    Hook your drive indicator up properly.

    Philip Callan, Jan 1, 2004

  3. ASUS support got it wrong. If you look on page 2-33 of the motherboard manual you'll see a connector for one
    labelled IDE_LED. I use it for my SATA drives.

    Tony.
    --
    3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

    To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

    The Black Wibble, Jan 1, 2004
  4. Martineau Gauda

    No Guest

    Mine works fine with a pair of Raptor drives in raid 0 on the Intel SATA
    connectors.

    No, Jan 1, 2004
  5. Tony

    I see only one IDE light connector on board. This is the connector on the
    20pin connector panel depicted at the top of page 2-33 (last 2 pins on the
    bottom left). If it is, it is the same IDE connector I am using. I do not
    have a RAID setup and I am using only one SATA drive. The light is working
    properly for the CDROM and DVD drives on the parallel channel, but not the
    SATA drive. I am running XP Pro and have bios 1011. The bios is set the
    (enhanced IDE, SATA, NO RAID.

    ASUS confirmed that the SATA light will not work with a single SATA drive.
    He says tested it. I hope they are wrong.

    Many thanks

    Martineau

    Martineau Gauda, Jan 1, 2004
  6. My drives are raided. But I find it absurd that the LED will not work with one SATA drive. It makes no sense,
    and so far have found no mention on the web about it. I'd figure there would be many complaints if what Asus
    support said were true.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Jan 1, 2004
  7. with one SATA drive. It makes no sense,
    would be many complaints if what Asus
    He has re-posted this crap 2 days running, regardless of the comments form
    people who KNOW it works and OWN
    the board, he's just got a faulty board, or a stupid Tech support person.

    Philip Callan, Jan 1, 2004
  8. Martineau Gauda

    Joe Guest

    Le Wed, 31 Dec 2003 23:28:23 GMT, "Martineau Gauda"
    Almost every SATA boards have the same problems I think, here A7V600,
    and same before with my A7V8X.

    Joe, Jan 1, 2004
  9. Tony you do not have the same setup as I do and you may be assuming way too
    much. I do not have a RAID!

    Furthermore, how can I get an RMA number from ASUS to return the board when
    they claim that it is not a defective board problem?

    I am looking for someone with the same setup and have been able to get the
    drive light working. Perhaps the senior ASUS tech I spoke to does not know
    as much about the board as you.

    Again, the problem is single SATA Raptor, without RAID, and drive light not
    working.

    I would appreciate help from anyone with this arrangement so that I can
    proceed toward resolution of the problem.

    You know what they say about assumptions. Please no more assumptions and
    computers care less about assumptions.

    Martineau

    Martineau Gauda, Jan 1, 2004
  10. Tony,

    Perhaps my last post should have also included Phil Callan for his sharp
    remark.

    Martineau

    Martineau Gauda, Jan 1, 2004
  12. Martineau Gauda

    John Tindle Guest

    Mmmmm.
    I've run my system (based on the P4C800EDLX) with all configurations of
    drives that the board supports. (Single SATA included).. My drive light
    activated as normal in all situations.

    JT...

    John Tindle, Jan 2, 2004
  13. Martineau Gauda

    No Guest

    I've also ran my Raptors in non-raid setup with the IDE led working. Did you
    remember to set up the IDE in the bios for enhanced for both parallel and
    sata?

    No, Jan 2, 2004
  14. Neither do I, I explained my setup (optical drives on PATA, single SATA HD)
    No RAID at all.
    Flash your BIOS to 1010 or 1014 and then see if you get this problem.
    Perhaps the 'senior' ASUS tech you spoke to has to try and remember facts
    and
    figures for a whole product line, and doesnt have a lot of experience with
    this particular
    board. Either way, im telling you i dont give a shit what some lackey making
    minimum wage
    doing Tech support tells you (and asus telephone support has had numerous
    complaints)

    I'm telling you I have this board, and with 2 optical drives on PATA (empty,
    no cd's dont try
    and tell me the indicator is showing it reading nothing) and a SINGLE HD on
    the SATA headers.

    And each and every time windows loads, or I start a program, I watch it
    flicker as it access the drive.

    So please, Mr 'dont make assumptions' QUIT ASSUMING ITS THE BOARD.
    Okay, now here's the clincher, does the freaking LED work at all? is there
    perhaps a loose
    connect between where you have hooked the ide indicator and the front panel.
    You made an assumption, and persist in spreading it around the group,
    THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS BOARD AND ITS INDICATORS
    You have had 2-3 OWNERS of this board, who have a perfectly working
    indicator,
    and have indicated so to you, but you persist in posting a message that
    makes people
    assume the fault is with the board, and not wiring, your case, or your
    skill.

    Why dont you try double checking the BIOS settings people have offered you
    to check,
    or double checking your wiring and the orientation of the wires on the
    header, like has
    been suggested, perhaps you have it backwards.

    Philip Callan, Jan 2, 2004
  15. Ignore him, he probably just has a crappy LED, but he persists in blaming
    the board, and says
    he spoke to ASUS tech support, but I doubt that as well.

    Philip Callan, Jan 2, 2004
  16. I know, and I may be assuming way too much. So, on the off chance you spoke to a monkey at Asus support, I
    sent them an email. There's less chance the same person who spoke to you on the phone would also be handling
    emails. I'll post the response here when I get it.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Jan 2, 2004
  17. Thanks,

    I have the enhanced mode set up for SATA only, could this be the problem?

    Are you running RAID 0 with one drive?

    I am running 1011 bios, could that be the problem?

    Also is there another connector on the motherboard that is used separately
    for the SATA led. The connector that I am using is the IDE one on the 20
    pin connector? It does light up when the CDROM or DVD drive is accessed.

    Other people with this board have email me that had a problem with the led
    and single SATA.

    There may be something that we are doing differently.

    Martineau

    Martineau Gauda, Jan 2, 2004