    512 cache). After inserting the new cpu the mb wouldn't boot. I replaced the
    CPU worked. I flashed to 1016b bios still no boot. The 3.2 CPU works ok in a
    new computer I built. Any suggestions ?

    John Mitchell, Jun 9, 2004

  2. John Mitchell

    Paul Guest

    Is this a funny stepping or something ? One of those M0 steppings ?
    If I look up two D1 stepping devices on processorfinder.intel.com ,
    they have virtually the same power dissipation. Could you post
    the SSPEC for both processors ? It is a five character code, with
    S as the first character. The product code is a longer string of
    characters with B as the first letter. As long as you post
    something that can be used to look up the part on processorfinder,
    we can guess at an answer.

    Otherwise, it should have worked.

    You can also look up your board here, to see if there is a
    BIOS dependency for what you bought:

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 9, 2004

  3. Thanks. I don't see anything with a "S" in its number but both specs on the
    boxes appear the same.
    Pentium 4 Processor 3.0 (or3.2)Ghz 1.55v max System bus 800mhz, 512
    l2-cache. PGA-478 Pkg.
    On the 3.0 the version number is C30419-003 and on the 3.3 it is version
    C30420-007.
    On the Asus site they say that it should work with any bios but I updated to
    the newest 1016 anyway.
    The only thing that I can think is that the MB was version 1 and made about
    1 year ago. Possible in spite of "specifications" it can't go that high.
    I gave up and put the 3.0 back in and it booted up. The 3.2 is in an office
    computer.
    Thanks again

    John Mitchell, Jun 10, 2004