P4C800 Random System Crashes

Discussion in 'Asus' started by M. Studer, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. M. Studer

    M. Studer Guest

    Hi all.

    About 2 weeks ago my system started to crash randomly out of the blue.
    (Before it was without any problems for about 6 month!)
    Sometimes the blasted thing crashes during windows-boot, during a game,
    even during shutdown etc.
    I mean that there is in each case a BOD but the system is resetting to
    fast to read the messages.

    My system:
    - ASUS P4C800 (BIOS Version 1015)
    - 1GB Corsair DDR-Dimms (2x512MB) PC-3200 CL2
    - Pentium IV 3GHz/800MHz
    - Seagate Barracuda SATA 120GB
    - Radeon 9800
    - Chieftec PSU 360W (2 fans)

    What I have already tested:

    - Removed the RAM and used each module separately
    - Installed both RAMs in Slot DIMM A2 and DIMM B2
    - Manual DRAM Timing 2.5 3 3 6
    - Disabled all on board devices: LAN, USB, AUDIO.
    - changed the system speed to Normal (from Turbo)
    - unplugged and plugged in all the cables
    - reassembled the computer outside the case

    The voltages and the temperatures seem to be OK (in the BIOS Hardware
    Monitor section). CPU: ~41°C

    I also tried to install a new copy of WinXP on an old Maxtor 40GB
    harddisk to make sure it's not the S-ATA Controller or the Seagate disk
    who causes the problems.
    But the computer also crashed during Windows setup! I never managed to
    install a complete copy of WinXP.

    I noticed that the North Bridge Cooler is getting quite hot. And also
    the RAM coolers.

    To be done:
    - deactivate hyper threading
    - use of a different power supply
    - ......

    So I'm still lost!
    I'm getting the feeling that the motherboard is maybe damaged. But why
    should this happen in a closed case after 6 month?

    Any ideas what I could do?

    TIA

    Matthias

    M. Studer, Feb 13, 2004

  2. M. Studer

    M. Studer Guest

    sorry guys. I picked the wrong newsgroup.

    but if you have a proposition - let me know anyway.

    Matthias

    M. Studer, Feb 13, 2004

  3. M. Studer

    Roy Coorne Guest

    Hi, Matthias,
    Start > Control Panel > System > System Properties > Advanced >
    Startup and Recovery > Settings: DISable "Automatically restart"

    Then there is a message on the BSOD which you may use to consult Dr
    Google or do research in the MS Knowledge Base directly.

    Roy

    Roy Coorne, Feb 14, 2004
  4. M. Studer

    Noozer Guest

    About 2 weeks ago my system started to crash randomly out of the blue.
    Check the bottom of the mainboard for a squashed solder blob under the CPU
    retainer.

    Noozer, Feb 14, 2004
  5. M. Studer

    M. Studer Guest

    Hi Roy,

    Thank you for the advice. But I think the problem must be somewhere
    deeper because I can't install a new copy of WindowsXP.

    I tried it anyway but the BSOD just says nothing. No driver no reason
    nothing!

    Matthias

    M. Studer, Feb 15, 2004
  6. M. Studer