    Why on the gigabyte and not on the asus?

    TIA,

    Jeff

    Jeff, Dec 5, 2004

  2. Jeff

    Paul Guest

    Do both machine use Promise 20378, or does the Gigabyte board
    use a different chip number ?

    There are other Promise chips that support both hard drives and
    ATAPI (CD) devices, and that in itself makes it puzzling why the
    Promise 20378 doesn't support both (according to the Asus manual).
    You would think that the Promise 20378 would reuse the chip design
    from their other chips, and ATAPI support would be in there.
    Mixing RAID and the ATAPI command set probably doesn't make any
    sense, but with RAID disabled, you would think they could turn
    it back on.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Paul,

    My other MB uses the Promise 20276

    Now, both boards will see An atapi CD in windows after the driver is
    installed.

    The asus MB though won't see it in post whereas the gigabyte will.

    Just curious, and this might have been asked and answerd.

    Can the asus p4c800e install winodws natively onto a IDE drive connected on
    the promise port or does the F6 add third party drivers have to be added b4
    the win xp install.

    Thanks,

    JEff

    Jeff, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Jeff

    Paul Guest

    You press F6 _during_ the install, so adding the third party
    driver is part of the install process. You may be prompted to
    do it twice.

    See post #4 in this thread (Mr. Steveo install guide). Pressing
    F6 is mentioned there:

    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34558

    HTH,
    Paul