    drive.

    Is this true?

    TIA

    Dave, May 3, 2004

  2. Dave

    Walt Guest

    I have the same MB, but I really haven't tried all the hardware
    configurations.

    The way I read the manual, the Promise chip on this MB _only_
    supports RAID configurations. If you don't want RAID, you need
    to use the Intel chip drive connections. This is why these
    connectors on the MB are labeled "SATA_RAID1", "SATA_RAID2",
    and "PRI_RAID".

    In terms of connecting up drives, forgiving the manual for
    some unclear English, you can have either (1) one P-ATA drive
    and one S-ATA drive, or (2) two S-ATA drives. Basically, a
    total of two drives of any type as long as one of them is
    a S-ATA drive. I guess you can't RAID with two P-ATA drives,
    both on the same channel (one master and one slave) because
    one can only access one drive per channel at a time.

    Walt, May 5, 2004

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Yes, it is confusing. I am using SATA RAID0 on the Promise and thought I
    could hook the PATA drive up to the Ultra133 Promise connector just to
    format the new drive. However, it is not even seen.

    Dave, May 6, 2004