P4C800E-dlx and promise controller

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Jgibbs, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Jgibbs

    Jgibbs Guest

    Weird problem just came up and I can't track down the root cause.

    I've got a 40 Gig and 160 Gig HD on primary IDE and a DVD writer & CD
    writer on the secondary IDE. On the promise controller I have another 30
    Gig HD. Every so often I take the 40 Gig HD out of my satellite so I can
    record video on to my computer. This week, when I booted up, the
    satellite HD made this disturbing ticking sound as if the drive head was
    repeatedly hitting some kind of internal stopper.

    Anyway, I powered down and rebooted and have had trouble accessing the
    satellite HD since then. The program I normally use to take the
    recordings off no longer works (hangs and gives me an I/O error). A
    different program (slower) does work.

    So I had a look at my disk drives in device manager and noticed that the
    drives on the promise controller now say they're SCSI drives! Maybe they
    always are detected that way in windows (due to the controller) but I've
    never noticed that before. Is it possible something messed up in windows
    during that initial boot up? Can I fix the drives so that they show up
    as plain IDE?

    Thanks!

    Jgibbs, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Jgibbs

    RBM Guest

    It's normal for them to show up as SCSI

    RBM, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Sounds like your hard drive is dying. Get all the data off of that drive
    *now*. And then, get a diagnostics program from the drive's manufacturer
    and run it. It may be still in warranty.

    Clark Griswold, Apr 7, 2005
  4. Jgibbs

    Paul Guest

    Can you place the drive on a Southbridge interface ?
    Download the disk manufacturer's disk diagnostic program and
    test the drive. Likely the drive is no longer finding track 0.

    I had a drive that failed like that. It was a 40GB, and it turns
    out, if track 0 is unreadable, the disk controller on the drive,
    doesn't even know the true capacity of the drive. It would report
    the drive was 10GB, which is the size of that drive if only a
    single platter is available. And the drive did tick.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Jgibbs

    Jgibbs Guest

    @fe10.lga:

    Ok. That eliminates one thing from the list. It's one of those things that
    you never pay attention to until you find you have to do something about
    it!

    OJ

    Jgibbs, Apr 9, 2005
  6. Jgibbs

    Jgibbs Guest

    I'm not too worried about the data since I was able to retrieve it using
    another (slower) program. I'll try the diagnostics though. I'll let you
    know if it tells me anything interesting.

    Thanks!
    OJ

    Jgibbs, Apr 9, 2005
  7. Jgibbs

    Jgibbs Guest

    (Paul) wrote in
    I know what the southbridge is but what would interface it? Do you mean
    use something other than an IDE bus? The funny thing is, when the
    computer boots up, it reports UDMA4 when it should be 5 and I can read
    from the drive with a different ripping program. It's tough to play
    around with though because d*shnet doesn't use ms-dos formatting. Now
    that the weekend is here I'll have more time to tinker.

    Thanks,
    OJ

    Jgibbs, Apr 9, 2005
  8. Jgibbs

    Paul Guest

    Southbridge = Pri_IDE, Sec_IDE, SATA1, SATA2
    Promise 20378 = Pri_RAID, SATA_RAID1, SATA_RAID2

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 9, 2005
  9. Also, Intel RAID is available on the southbridge.

    Clark Griswold, Apr 9, 2005
  10. My Promise is running Sata1,Sata2,IDE-200 and IDE-120, drives
    None of which are Raid. Primary controller is my tape drive, Secondary
    controller is CD and DVD player/recorders.

    James Huckabey, Apr 23, 2005