P4C800E Dlx IDE controller bad so now what board do I buy? Another?? of the same?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Ron Shaw, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. Ron Shaw

    Ron Shaw Guest

    lost most control of my fingers so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2
    type.

    I have both theP4C800 dlx and thepc4800E Dlx I like both systems but my
    p4c800E Dlx system (the one with ICH5R of course) Is going bad, i cant even
    plug anything up to the mobo ide primary port master or slave otherwise
    upon bootng the system just sits there for about 20-50 secs doing nothing
    but i see the drive led on even before the system posts and before i
    inializes theonboard ich5r controller but i boot off a raptor on the promise
    controller.
    Also once xp is up and running when inseting a dvd or cd (i have 2 dvds
    mounted to the 2ndary ide port, xpo never sees the titles change. its
    wierd.

    anyway isthere any other moos that come closde t this one? its rather old
    im running an intel p4 3.0C cpu @ 3.3 ghz , i dont wanna buy diff memory,
    cpu, ram like i did for this unless its actually worth it with a 9700 pro
    ati all n wonder 2 300 gig ssata drives 2 160 gig pata drives dual dvd
    burners ad a dvd reader i havet found anything better to relacethis p4c800e
    dlx with
    any suggestions?

    Ron Shaw, Apr 4, 2005

  2. Ron Shaw

    RBM Guest

    That board is warranted by Asus for three years. If you are within that
    period, I'd contact them and try to get a replacement

    RBM, Apr 4, 2005

  3. Ron Shaw

    jimbo Guest

    The same problem happened with my P4C800E-Deluxe, after 3 weeks.No hard
    drives or cdroms are being seen by bios on the primary & secondary ide and
    sata ports. I could never get my P4 3.2E GHZ 1 meg L2 CPU to boot up.Only a
    Celeron 1.8GHZ. There was no video, even with bios 1021.
    So now while working with ASUS tech to see if they give me an RMA I have
    ordered a P4P800E-Deluxe. Has
    similiar specs and a bit lower price. Hope this one works though.

    Jimbo

    jimbo, Apr 4, 2005
  4. Ron Shaw

    Paul Guest

    Looking at the current motherboard list, if you didn't want
    to get a member of the P4C800 or P4P800 family, the next board
    I would look at is P4S800D-E Deluxe. (I wouldn't go Via for P4,
    and neither would I touch ATI with a bargepole, due to the
    features of the BIOS.)

    http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4s800d-e-d/overview.htm

    The P4S800D-E Deluxe is no longer for sale at the major
    suppliers, but I found it on Pricewatch for $86. Yes, it has an
    SIS chipset, but the people who have posted in the Asus newsgroup
    haven't complained about problems getting it to run. The SIS180
    RAID controller is not exactly a winner (it is a soft RAID), so
    that is a minus, but otherwise it looks decent.

    You have the option of returning your defective board under
    warranty. Before doing that though, I would try stripping all
    drives off the Southbridge, and if you have an IDE drive you
    have never used before, use that and a new cable, and see if
    the Southbridge behaves any better. It is possible one of the
    DVD drives is shorting something on the IDE cable. So, it might
    be worth trying a little fault isolation, before throwing in
    the towel on it.

    You could also find a PCI IDE controller card and use that
    for your IDE devices. This Promise ULTRA133 TX2 is the
    cheapest one I would consider buying myself. It claims to
    support ATAPI, so your DVD drives can go on there. Perhaps
    you could pick up some spare 80 wire IDE cables while you
    are at it (to swap for your current ones).

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-102-007&depa=0

    I really hope your Southbridge is not failing, because this
    would be another black eye for the ICH5. Some people have been
    having latchup/meltdown problems when plugging USB devices into
    the Southbridge, and so I hope this is not the start of a
    downhill trend. I have a P4C800-E Deluxe and I would like to
    see it last for a while :)

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 4, 2005