P4C800E-DLX motherboard won't boot, what could it be?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by povmec, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. povmec

    povmec Guest

    I just put together a new computer using the motherboard P4C800E-DLX I
    bought recently. First, I noticed there was a screw missing on the retention
    bracket for the CPU heat sink. I used a spare screw I had to be sure the
    retention bracket is correctly installed.

    Then when I power up the new computer, it won't boot, won't show anything on
    screen, and there is no diagnostic beep. Although everything seems properly
    powered, it's as if there is no BIOS on the motherboard.

    Here is a list of the anomalies: - Monitor screen doesn't receive any
    signal, won't display anything (I used two video cards, one being brand new,
    to ensure the problem wasn't the video card). - No diagnostic beeps. - Power
    led and HD led are off- even though the green LED on the motherboard is on,
    and the CPU fan is working properly.

    Any idea what could be the problem? I suspect a defect BIOS, and I will
    probably be returning it, but any idea of what could be wrong is welcomed.

    Tx, Ray.

    povmec, Sep 20, 2004

  2. povmec

    Paul Guest

    2x2 ATX 12V plugged in ?

    Why not try the Voice POST feature. Plug a pair of amplified
    speakers into the Lineout connector on the I/O panel. Listen
    for an error message, and compare the message you hear, to
    a list of messages in the manual. Because the Voice POST isn't
    very high fidelity, you need to stare at the list while listening,
    to make sense of it.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Sep 21, 2004

  3. povmec

    povmec Guest

    2x2 ATX 12V plugged in ?
    Thanks for your answer, I appreciate. Finally found the problem to be the
    video cable, so that explains why no diagnosis beeps or voice post was
    heard. The lesson I got from this: keep looking, I was ready to return the
    motherboard.

    Ray.

    povmec, Sep 21, 2004
  4. povmec

    Michael S. Guest

    Ray--FWIW--the DVI cable on my ATI Radeon video card has to be attached just
    right or it cannot output to the monitor--but the monitor will display a
    notice that no video is attached--unplug the video cable and replug it will
    take care of it for another few months. Obviously, some video connections
    are fickle.

    MikeSp

    Michael S., Sep 22, 2004
  5. povmec

    povmec Guest

    Ohh... This was exactly my symptom, and I have an ATI Radeon which I was
    trying to connect thru the DVI port... You're right, my video cable is
    actually good. And to think I almost returned the motherboard, how
    embarrassing lol.

    Thanks, Ray.

    povmec, Sep 22, 2004