    512Meg 256Meg 512Meg 256Meg

    From the explanation in the manual it's clear that the memory in
    each channel DIMM A1/A2 and DIMM B1/B2 must be identical,
    but it's not clear to me if both channels have to be identical.

    Any input will be appreciated.

    moe

    moe, Aug 8, 2004

  2. moe

    Paul Guest

    From the Intel E7205 datasheet (this is the one I have bookmarked):
    http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/e7205/datashts/25193702.pdf

    Page 139

    "Memory Operation
    The MCH contains a dual channel DDR interface, with each channel
    having 64 data bits and 8 ECC bits. The memory interface operates
    in ³lock-step² with each other...

    The memory must be populated in identical DIMM configurations
    (i.e., Slot 0 of channel A must contain the same configuration DIMM
    as Slot 0 of channel B). The configuration consists of the same
    number of rows (1 or 2), the same technology part (128 Mb, 256 Mb,
    512 Mb), the same DRAM chip width (x8, or x16), and the same speed."

    so I think that means A1=B1 and A2=B2, not as you have shown. The
    A1=B1 and A2=B2 is all the matching you need, so a pair of 512 and
    a pair of 256 should work.

    This info is also in the manual, section 2.5.2
    http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4g8x/e1133_p4g8x.pdf

    Mushkin has some tips in their mainboard qualification section
    for the P4G8X. Some of the info in there is probably old by
    now, but may come in handy if you are having problems with the
    board. There is a link off their front page to the mainboard
    qualification section.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 8, 2004