P4N Diamond, No Post Memory Detection Test Fails

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Stephan Rose, Sep 13, 2005.

  1. Stephan Rose

    Stephan Rose Guest

    Just got all the parts for my new system and the motherboard hangs at
    the Memory Detection Test phase

    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 541 3.2GHz LGA 775
    Memory: 2GB Kingston 533MHz, 1GB per module
    Video Card: BFG GeForce 5800 GT OC
    Powersupply: Enermax 600W

    Once in a while the board will go into decompressing bios image to
    ram, and then hang there. I'd say about 1 out of 10 times. All other
    times, it hangs at the memory detection test.

    Any ideas? Memory is installed one module Channel A, one module
    Channel B.

    All power connectors, etc. are properly connected.

    Thanks,

    Stephan Rose, Sep 13, 2005

  2. Stephan Rose

    DaveL Guest

    Try one module at a time. You could have a bad one. Can you borrow a known
    good stick of ram to test? Also, did you clear the cmos and load fail safe
    defaults?

    DaveL

    DaveL, Sep 15, 2005

  3. Stephan Rose

    Harald Guest

    Hi,

    Had extly the same problem with the Diamond (AMD). Tried just about
    everything including clearing the BIOS and removed and shorted the battery.
    Replaced the memory chips with an old PC2100 module and the board started
    immediately. Entered all the corrct timings for my 2 new Corsair modules and
    put them back in (removed the old PC2100 module) Since then everything has
    worked beautifully, not a single crash. even when overclocking the RAM.
    I suspect the reason for all this is that the BIOS did not clear properly
    and did not recognize my Crucial Ram but used really conservative settings
    with the old 2100 module.

    Best of luck

    Ben

    Harald, Nov 7, 2005