    trying to find a good Asus board... was thinking the P4P800. Will it
    work?
    thanks for tolerating my socket ignorance.. hahaha

    BobMarley, Jul 25, 2003

  2. BobMarley

    BobMarley Guest

    ok i've educated myself a little... xeon is socket 603 or 604.
    Does Asus make a good board for these?
    How is it for gaming? I have the 1.6Ghz and 2.0Ghz...
    would like a gaming machine.. but how are these boards for that?

    BobMarley, Jul 25, 2003

  3. BobMarley

    jaeger Guest

    No Xeon will work on any 875/865 board.

    jaeger, Jul 25, 2003
  4. BobMarley

    BobMarley Guest

    clarification, how are the Xeon boards for that.. .
    i know Asus are great... they're all i've ever had..

    BobMarley, Jul 25, 2003
  5. BobMarley

    jaeger Guest

    A gaming machine based on a Xeon seems like a futile exercise. Trying
    to find a 7500 series mobo to go with it that won't be a dead end
    platform(and that will be desktop friendly) will be very hard.

    jaeger, Jul 25, 2003
  6. Asus makes a few boards. Go to their website and type "xeon" in their search
    box.

    Jim in Canada, Jul 25, 2003
  7. BobMarley

    jaeger Guest

    Xeons are for servers and workstations. They have no place in desktop
    or gaming systems, in fact the P4 is faster in terms of 3D rendering.
    For the cost of one Xeon mobo you could get a P4 2.8C and a P4P800.

    jaeger, Jul 25, 2003
  8. BobMarley

    Paul Guest

    There is a nice review here. It is for a 7505 Placer based Xeon board, with
    an AGP slot. (An Asus board with this chip is the PP-DLW). They also directly
    compare a 3.06GHz P4 against a dual, which is interesting.

    http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/hardware-reviews/1221_5.html

    Their conclusion:

    "If you use CAD - CAM ,3D Animation software or you render animations
    and time is money for you, Dual Xeon solutions will worth every
    penny. The hyper threading technology really helps for these kinds
    of applications. Lightwave, Maya, 3DStudio Max and Specviewperf
    results points Dual Xeons with hyper threading technology.

    If you are only a gamer, Dual Xeon means throwing away your money.
    Quake III and 3DMark 2001SE points to the Pentium 4. Hyper threading
    is not really important.

    For Office applications users; It would be an overkill to buy a
    Dual Xeon system unless you use really heavy financial applications
    and databases. Even under heavy load a Pentium 4 will be OK for you.
    The Sysmark 2002 Office Productivity points to a Pentium 4 and
    hyper threading support helps.

    For Internet Creation, Adobe software users, film editing and
    photography enthusiasts; If you have the money, a hyper threading
    disabled Dual Xeon would be great. If you have limited money Pentium
    4 with hyper threading support is OK for you."

    Now, considering the low core clock rate of your two processors, game
    performance will stink (as most games are uniprocessor). For other
    applications, you might just break even, compared to a 3.06GHz P4.

    PP-DLW (7505 Placer MCH based, AGP 8X, 533FSB, Sock604 Dual) - $380
    PR-DLSW (GrandChampion based, AGP 4X, 400FSB, Sock604 Dual) - $738

    The PP-DLW can use registered or unregistered DIMMs. You'll need two,
    and Crucial lists 512MB unbuffered PC2100 for $87 each. So, for a
    total of $380 + 2*87 = $554 you can have a so-so machine.

    The good points - good I/O bandwidth by using PCI-X, good desktop
    responsiveness due to using a dual, upgrade path later when Xeon price
    drops. The bad points - Asus doesn't do as many BIOS updates for server
    boards, there are few users to talk to (and so bugs don't get
    reported to this group), boards are big (check that board fits case!).

    If I already owned the video card, a pair of matched DIMMs, and
    the two Xeon processors, I might be tempted to buy the DLW :)
    Consider your PCI card collection carefully before buying,
    because your slot choices are complicated. You might also need
    a new power supply.

    Based on the IRQ table for the DLW, there are three PCI busses.
    Three slots on one PCI-X, one slot on the second PCI-X, and an
    ordinary PCI slot off the Southbridge.

    Consult forums.2cpu.com for more info on dual Xeon stuff. You
    could post your intended config there and get their comments.

    If you don't like risks, stick with the P4P800.

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 25, 2003
  9. BobMarley

    BobMarley Guest

    Great info, thanks...
    I picked up a few Xeon's from work where I didn't need them any more..
    so much for turning them into a great gaming machine.. hahaha
    I'll just sell em to pay for a P4 and motherboard.
    :)

    BobMarley, Jul 25, 2003