P4P800 - cannot access BIOS

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ot, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. ot

    ot Guest

    I have recently built a 2.6 Ghz machine based around the P4P800 Asus m/b and
    everything works fine except for the fact that i cannot access the BIOS.

    2 x 256MB GEIL 3200
    120 Maxtor HDD
    Radion 9600 Pro
    430 W PSU

    Everytime i hit DEL on restart, i am presented with a black screen - blue
    bar at the top and the word WAIT in the middle ... nothing else happens.

    I thought an update to the BIOS would sort this out - so i went and got the
    latest BIOS version fromthe asus web site and flashed it using the afudos
    method as listed on the asus website to no noticeable change or improvement
    to the problem at hand.

    apart from this, the machine works fine, i just want to check if HT is on
    etc.

    can anyone shed some light on the problem?

    thanks in advance

    ot

    ot, Dec 8, 2003

  2. ot

    ahh Guest

    Did you try clearing the cmos with the jumper? I had the same problem with
    another mobo a while back and the only way I could get into the bios was
    clearing the cmos with the jumper.

    ahh, Dec 8, 2003

  3. ot

    ot Guest

    ok went and did as advised, followed the instructions to clear CMOS in the
    manual.

    now on boot it says
    CMOS settings wrong;
    CMOS Date/Time Not Set
    Press F1 to run SETUP
    Press F2 ro load default values and continue

    pressing F1 - results in the WAIT screen

    pressing F2 no response ...

    I think the situation just got worse :/

    ot

    ot, Dec 8, 2003
  4. ot

    ahh Guest

    crap! Now I feel guilty. But it did solve my problem.

    ahh, Dec 8, 2003
  5. ot

    ot Guest

    heheh no problems and thanks for trying.

    the problem is still no BIOS access and I have taken images of the error and
    have left it with the store i bought the m/b from.

    this kinda makes resolution more urgent - and i would not have liked to had
    a m/b without BIOS management nehow.

    so no probs once again.

    ot

    ot, Dec 9, 2003
  6. ot

    John Guest

    I would try and disconnect everything plugged into the machine except
    the video and keyboard. Take out all boards except the video card and
    unplug all drives, HD, CD-ROM and floppy. I have had a problem with the
    BIOS hanging on a cold boot and it was a peripheral that was plugged in
    that was causing the problem. Also, if you have two sticks of memory
    try it with only one. Good luck.

    - JA

    John, Dec 9, 2003
  7. ot

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    its normal after you cleared the bios you have to reset you settings so just
    follow the instruction and good luck

    127.0.0.1, Dec 9, 2003
  8. ot

    Axel VK Guest

    I just had strange problems with the same board. The problem was a faulty
    USB hub.
    As someone said, try just with the basic keyboard and mouse.

    Axel VK, Dec 10, 2003
  9. ot

    ot Guest

    ok here's a happy ending (in spite of embarrassment to myself) .. i
    unplugged everything and started to plug in each peripheral one by one and
    wey hey - access to BIOS ok.

    the m/b must not have liked the old IDE CD-ROM i plugged in to install xp -
    switched this over with the one from my 'now-back up machine' and all is
    well.

    thanks for your advice everyone

    cheers

    ot

    ot, Dec 10, 2003
  10. ot

    marknewton5 Guest

    Im going to try unplugging everything from the computer except the keyboardand video, but this literally just happened to me. I accidentally hit the sleep button on my keyboard, the computer restarted on me, then this happened. I have been using the same hardware for the last 4 years after I built it...

    marknewton5, Aug 29, 2012
  11. Just to let anyone know who might find this from a Google search. I just posted a reply about this happening to me after hitting the sleep button on my keyboard. I dont know what could have caused this on my ASUS P5Q, but I unplugged everything (Including the CD-ROM and HDs) but the keyboard and video. Turned it on, and it worked fine. So I thought I would do a little problem solving to figure out what device was causing it... I plugged everything back in and it works just fine. Its quite the mystery on why it happened to me, but my advice is to do what I did, and see if there is anything actually causing it, unlike mine which was just a weird freak occurence I guess....

    MarkusMcNugen, Aug 29, 2012
  12. ot

    Eric Parker Guest

    Im going to try unplugging everything from the computer except the keyboard
    and video, but this literally just happened to me. I accidentally hit the
    sleep button on my keyboard, the computer restarted on me, then this
    happened. I have been using the same hardware for the last 4 years after I
    built it...

    My ASUS M/B occasionally locks up.
    Some I know are caused by mains spikes.
    I have to remove the power lead from the PSU for around 60 seconds to allow
    it to restart.

    Eric

    Eric Parker, Sep 3, 2012