    drives and the proper boot sequence A: then C:.

    Maybe I'm dumbing down in my old age so any quick help would be greatly
    appreciated. Thanks.

    G.B. Langer, Jun 24, 2003

  2. G.B. Langer

    Nick Coates Guest

    had the problem with my p4c800 had to turn on legacy mode (just for the
    install)

    Nick Coates, Jun 24, 2003

  3. G.B. Langer

    Surfer Guest

    Hi,
    Boot the Computer go into the BIOS, by hitting the "Delete" key on boot up
    check the "main" screen for your drive eg. Primary Master = your drive,
    change to the Boot screen there's a list no#1 to 4, ATAPI CD-ROM should be
    at the top of the list, averything else disabled, exit and save, make sure
    your WINXP CD is in CDROM drive, when asked to boot from CDROM hit ENTER,
    follow the prompts...

    Good Luck!

    Ben.

    Did you go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence to CD-ROM at top of
    list and disable the HDD?
    Make sure the HDD has been detected in the BIOS

    Surfer, Jun 24, 2003
  4. G.B. Langer

    G.B. Langer Guest

    I'll try these and any more suggestions. Thanks.

    However, I tired something and copied my Win95 boot disk system files to my
    new hard drive. Then I ran scandisk from those files on my WD floppy disk
    and it wouldn't complete because of FAT errors or something. I also ran
    Chkdsk and it would work either. I can put any floppy with data on it and
    it reads using the DOS DIR command. THis floppy won't read. I assume the
    disk is bad.

    I go the the WD site and try and download the same program to a fresh high
    capacity floppy and it says there is not enough room for the files of the
    floppy. My CD burner is out of my running Net connected machine so I can't
    copy it to a CD. Any suggestions?

    Do I need this floppy to prepare the new hard drive or can I just get booted
    up with the CDROM support and get WinX installed and leave the hard drive as
    is? Doesn't it need partitioning and formatting first?

    G.B. Langer, Jun 24, 2003
  5. G.B. Langer

    Maximus Guest

    I cannot install win98 or win ME onto P4P800 DL.

    If you can't either, you may need win2000 or winXP.

    Maximus

    Maximus, Jun 24, 2003
  6. G.B. Langer

    Nick Coates Guest

    you have to set ide mode to legacy, read your manual

    Nick Coates, Jun 24, 2003