P4P800 Deluxe - Can I add SATA drives as extra drives in a previously PATA setup

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Bob Rafuse, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Bob Rafuse

    Bob Rafuse Guest

    Hardware:
    Asus P4P800 Deluxe
    Software:
    Win XP Pro SP1

    New to S-ATA drives, so pardon if this is a stupid question.

    I have an Asus P4P800 Deluxe with the IDE configuration set to P-ATA
    only. My Primary IDE channel, which shows up as 'Third Master' on
    boot screen during power-up, contains two IDE HDs, my boot disc and a
    data disc. My Secondary IDE channel ('Third slave') has a DVD+/-RW
    and a IDE ZIP drive.

    I am looking at adding another large data drive and was wondering:

    Can I buy a S-ATA drive, change the BIOS IDE Configuration to
    P-ATA/S-ATA and have the S-ATA drive simply appear as an E: drive in
    Windows XP? Or will the mobo expect to boot off the S-ATA since its
    listed as 'First Master' on the boot screen?

    TIA

    Bob Rafuse, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Bob Rafuse

    end user Guest

    My bios is set to "Sata" and "enhanced" configuration. Installed a
    160 gig WD as third master. The system did a small hickup on the 160
    gig although I had XPpro Sp1 (more than the 137 barrier). I
    partitioned the drive as it was my original intention and everything
    is running smooth.

    I cloned over the main partition to the sata drive and configured bios
    to boot off the new sata drive no problem.

    You will note that a sata drive has lower transfer speeds than a
    regular IDE drive due to the onboard pata to sata bridge. In my case
    normal transfer speeds for a WD 7200rpm with 8 mg cache is 46 mb/s
    while for the sata drive (still with 7200 rpm & 8 mg cache) it is only
    34 mb/s.

    The sata drive is no longer my boot drive but it makes a good storage
    drive.

    Locust

    end user, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Bob Rafuse