    the p4p800-e, but I want the Antec Sonata case because it is supposed to
    be so quiet. Thanks.

    Edward

    Edward, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Edward

    Voyager2k2 Guest

    I just finished building a system with a Sonata case and a P4P800E DLX
    Runs great!
    Added a Zalman CNPS7000ACU as well.
    Fits fine and works well.

    Voyager2k2, Jun 23, 2004

  3. Edward

    James Bald Guest

    P4P800E-delux here,
    ANTEC 480W, TruePower.
    ...HEAVEN :)

    James Bald, Jun 23, 2004
  4. Antec Truepower 550 and P4P800 - No problems at all here.

    Freddie

    Freddie Clark, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Edward

    Rocky Guest

    I built a system around the P4C800-ED which is basically the same as the P4P
    except it is 875 instead of 865, and mine runs great in the Antex Sonata
    case.

    Rocky, Jun 23, 2004
  6. Edward

    Edward Guest

    Thanks for the replies. According to a thread on ABXZone, Asus even
    admitted the problem. I might have to give it a try now.

    Edward, Jun 24, 2004
  7. Edward

    Rocky Guest

    Got a link? I can't see it.

    Alistair

    Rocky, Jun 24, 2004
  8. Edward

    Edward Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/yu9ql

    Search p4p800-e and antec on abxzone.com if the above url does not get
    you there; I think there are 40 messages in the thread:

    This is the message:
    "I spoke to support at Antec today and they confirmed a problem between
    Antec psu and certain revision # Asus P4p800e-deluxe mb's. Antec gave me
    the # and ext to Asus support. Asus emailed me the info to get an RMA
    for a new mb. I am glad to finally find a fix, but after all is done I
    will have around $60.00 in shipping for a problem that was none of my
    doing. Hope others will find this out before getting in too deep.

    For the record the revision # for my board is 1.02"

    Edward, Jun 24, 2004
  9. How do you find out the rev # of the board??

    I have a P4P800-E Deluxe sitting in its box waiting for an Antec case w/-
    power supply to go into.....

    There is nothing obvious on any of the serial numbers on the box.

    Thanks, Stupot

    Stuart Chapman, Jun 24, 2004
  10. Edward

    James Bald Guest

    Edward,
    I've got a fine working P4P800-E deluxe rev 1.02 + ANTEC TruePower 480W.

    To quote one of the post in the link you provided:
    "I told the Asus tech my exact setup and he said he would test the mb with an Antec
    ps before shipping it out. He said the problem was detecting the voltage on the 4 pin. "

    According to my ANTEC pinout, Pin4 is +5VDC RED.
    I don't see how in the world the motherboard could fail that ??
    As I was looking around for details about what kind of 'junk' :p is in the Sonata,
    I found some more details.

    "Il s'agit d'un probleme venant de Asus pour les cartes mere dont le code inscrit
    sur le bord de la carte mere à coté des ports IDE et lecteur disquette se finit par 02
    (moi c'est ...-A02). Le probleme est "reglé" avec les cartes meres avec un code finissant par 03. "
    http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/Hardware/sujet-594004-1.htm (for the records)

    Short translation summary:
    "Problem is from Asus, with mobo's having a number finishing with 02, along near
    the IDE and floppy ports... It's solved on boards finishing with 03"

    Indeed, I opened my casing and checked the tiny numbers... "(.long serial)..MBLCW0 -A03"
    So My motherboard is one of the Fixed versions.

    That should reassure those with a rev 1.02 as well.
    Regards,

    (..)

    James Bald, Jun 26, 2004
  11. Edward

    Edward Guest

    Thanks for the help James. How long have you had your board? The
    message thread I attached was from late April - mid May. I wonder if
    there is any way to request a board that ends in 03.

    Edward, Jun 26, 2004
  12. Edward

    James Bald Guest

    Got mine since a few weeks now. Brand new; Still excited by the perfs. :)

    Since you know all the details now on what to avoid and what works;
    I suggest you pay a visit to your nearest computer shop that holds ASUS stocks.
    Even more; You could still shop for best prices, and ask the salesman with the
    exact detail of the board revision / serial ending you want not.
    If he does not hold this popular board in stocks, he's gonna pick-up the phone
    and tell the guy holding stocks.... Don't risk anything now that you are aware;
    The box is never scealed, you can easily, carefully ask the guy to pull it out of
    the anti-static wrapper and see for yourself.

    That will be the day :)
    Yet, I think chances you get one of the early boards are low.

    James Bald, Jun 26, 2004