P4P800-E Deluxe...which IDE connectors can I use

Discussion in 'Asus' started by EFK, Nov 27, 2005.

  1. EFK

    EFK Guest

    I've got a P4P800-E Deluxe board coming this week and was skimming the
    manual before it arrives. I'll be using a raid array for two IDE disks.
    The board shows two IDE connectors (primary and secondary) and another
    Primary connector for the Raid disks.

    I'll install two HDDs on the Primary Raid connector as a master and slave
    drive. Question is, for more IDE drives (DVD, etc.) can I use the other
    Primary IDE connector (the NON-Raid one), or does the Primary Raid
    connector map to that one? In which case, I could only use the Secondary
    connector.

    Simply put, can I use both Primary IDE connectors at the same time? One
    for Raid, one not?

    Thanks

    Eric

    EFK, Nov 27, 2005

  2. EFK

    Bill Smith Guest

    The primary connector for raid disks will use the 2 ide drives you
    have for your raid array (master / slave config only). Although this
    is not an "optimal" config, it works. This connector is mapped to the
    promise control or the via controler and is separate from the standard
    onboard ide connectors. It will probably only have the single
    connector. The intel primary and secondary connectors can use whatever
    else you want to connect, be it ide drives, cd-rom or dvd or cdrw or
    dvdr.

    Bill Smith, Nov 27, 2005