P4P800 no longer recognises pci devices

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Andrew W, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. Andrew W

    Andrew W Guest

    One night I decided to turn my PC off at the mains, but next morning when I
    turned it back on, my built in NIC and PCI capture card were no longer being
    recognised.
    They now come up as unknown devices and reinstalling or updating the drivers
    is futile.
    Even if I try to force the drivers they won't accept them.

    What can be done?
    Is there a PCI reset utility?

    --
    Andrew W.

    History books that contain no lies are extremely dull. The Christian bible
    is a very interesting book indeed.

    Religion Exposed!
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ajwerner

    Andrew W, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Andrew W

    Old Bugger Guest

    Try the capture card in a different slot.

    Andrew W, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Andrew W

    Paul Guest

    There are several possibilities.

    1) Some kind of software problem. Maybe, but not likely. Especially
    as reinstalling isn't helping. I have a Knoppix boot CD in my
    collection, and if you had something like that (Knopper.net),
    you could watch to see if Linux could find drivers for the hardware.
    But that is a 700MB download. I don't know if there are any
    smaller distros you could use, for a similar test. Linux is
    a bit closer to the hardware, and you may be able to find
    utilities that allow dumping PCI config space info.

    2) There is a problem with ICH5 Southbridge chips, where if
    static electricity enters a USB port, the Southbridge
    goes into latchup. Your problem is not consistent with the
    symptoms of that problem, as either the board will no longer
    POST, or you'll just lose the use of the USB ports. I suppose
    it is possible the PCI bus has just actually died, but
    what are the odds of that. (Have a look at the top of
    the Southbridge anyway, to see if there are any suspicious
    burn marks on the top.)

    3) There could be corrupted info stored either in the BIOS
    chip or in the CMOS RAM in the Southbridge. You could try
    the clear CMOS procedure (with the computer unplugged), as
    per the section in the manual that describes "CLRTC". Go into
    the BIOS setup and reenter any custom settings (such as which
    disk to boot from). If you still cannot see the PCI bus, the
    next step is to reflash the BIOS. You can reflash with the same
    version you are using currently, or find another version on
    the Asus download page. The reason you are flashing the BIOS,
    is there are some segments in the BIOS chip, that get updated
    at POST (DMI/ESCD/microcode cache). Also, there are occasional
    cases where the BIOS code itself goes bad (I call that "bit rot"),
    and reflashing the BIOS can fix that also. Since the boot block
    on the BIOS computes a checksum, most of the time "bit rot"
    should be detected by the checksum test. But, depending on the
    algorithm used, not all faults can be detected that way (i.e.
    a cyclic redundancy check calculation (CRC) is better than
    simply summing all the bytes).

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 25, 2005