    I'm new to this motherboard, and although having used ASUS for a few years,
    have never had any problems like this before.
    Any help would be appreciated

    Smokin..o0O, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Smokin..o0O

    Henry Guest

    Uninstall the primary ide channel in device manager. Restart the computer
    and it should re-detect the hard drives as new devices and reinstall the
    drivers with the proper dma settings. I was told that this usually happens
    if your hard drives are having problems at that current dma speed. Windows
    steps them down. Hopefully, yours is just a fluke and they will stay at
    umda 5.

    Henry

    Henry, Aug 3, 2003

  3. Smokin..o0O

    Smokin..o0O Guest

    Thanks for the reply henry.
    Did as you suggested and still the same result after reboot, UDMA 2.
    Went into BIOS, and noticed something strange.
    Primary IDE Master : [Not Detected]
    Secondary IDE Master : [Not Detected]
    Third IDE Master : [Maxtor sL020J1]
    Third IDE Slave : [IBM-DTLA-307045]
    Fourth IDE master : [SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD]
    Fourth IDE Slave : [Not Detected]

    Can't say if I noticed this last time I looked, really did not pay much
    attention.
    Are the Primary and Secondary IDE master refering to the serial ATA, which I
    am not using? If so then that explains the layout of the detected drives.

    When I highlight Third IDE Master and hit enter, I see the following:
    Device : Hard Disk
    Vendor : Maxtor 6L020J1
    Size : 20.0GB
    LBA Mode : Supported
    Block Mode : 16Sectors
    PIO Mode : 4
    Async DMA : MultiWord DMA-2
    Ultra DMA : Ultra DMA-2
    Smart Monitoring: Supported.

    So the bios is detecting the drives, but is only showing DMA 2 for both hard
    drives.
    Any more suggestions?

    Thanks again.

    Smokin..o0O, Aug 3, 2003