    $$$'s worth out of this hardware?? I'm really starting to get
    frustrated here :(

    Thanks for any advice you may have.

    GoldSpider, Feb 28, 2004

  2. You'll find that everything is running as it should, the 800mhz FSB comes
    from 4x200mhz, which is what you are running at, so nothing to worry about
    there.

    Philip Harding, Feb 28, 2004

  3. GoldSpider

    Paul Guest

    The clock fed to the chips is 200MHz. The memory data bus transfers
    data twice per clock cycle, and in this case is termed DDR400, meaning
    "double the clock rate and happening up to 400 million times per second".
    The bus between the processor and Northbridge, termed the "front side bus",
    to distinguish it from the backside bus which used to go to external
    cache chips, transfers data on the Pentium four times per clock cycle.
    This is termed "quad pumped", and the shorthand FSB800 is an imprecise
    term meant to recognize the 4 x 200 number.

    Note that not all processors are quad pumped, so when discussing Pentiums
    and Athlons, the FSB "transfer factor" is implied by the processor type.
    FSB800 doesn't mean anything, unless you know the name of the processor
    and its resultant bus type.

    You can get a copy of AIDA32 or CPUZ to review the characteristics
    of your system, if you don't believe what the BIOS is telling you.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 28, 2004
  4. GoldSpider

    Sept1967 Guest

    Yeah, what he said. Intel FSB numbers are from "Quad Pumped" technology.
    So P4 FSB's are...

    Original 400MHz FSB (100MHz x4)
    533MHz FSB (133x4)
    and now 800MHz (200x4)

    Sept1967, Feb 29, 2004
  5. GoldSpider

    GoldSpider Guest

    OK that makes sense. Glad it didn't turn out that I wasted my money.

    Now any ideas on what I can do for cooling? I just have the standard
    Intel-provided HSF, and this thing still gets hot as hell on maximum
    CPU load (topped 70C today). I've been leaving the case open, but I'm
    thinking I may need to get some more active cooling for the case
    (2x80mm fans) as well as a more effective fan for the CPU (maybe some
    Thermaltake model).

    Any recommendations on how I can cool this beast down? Thanks!

    GoldSpider, Feb 29, 2004
  6. GoldSpider

    Unknown Guest

    I understand that a lot of engineering effort goes into case design to
    maximize air circulation and improve cooling.

    It would appear that leaving the case open would defeat their design
    efforts.

    Unknown, Feb 29, 2004
  7. GoldSpider

    GoldSpider Guest

    I think you may be right, but I also found out that I didn't have
    great contact between my CPU and the HSF. I fixed that and closed the
    case, and now I'm idling at 34, maxed (so far) at 50. I can live with
    that. Thanks for the help.

    GoldSpider, Feb 29, 2004