    If I reboot, it will too most of the times.
    I've gotten the latest drivers from Olympus for XP (MAUSB-1 was before XP).
    Nevertheless, I'm not getting a cold boot beep, and I should.

    jdc1, Jun 28, 2003

  2. jdc1

    Paul Guest

    I think your motherboard has four USBPWxx headers with jumpers.
    If you set a given header to run from +5VSB, then the USB device
    that is plugged into the corresponding ports has power all the time,
    even when the system is sleeping. So, which ever port the Olympus is
    on, set the USBPWxx that controls that header to +5VSB. This will
    make the Olympus ready for the probing the motherboard does at POST.

    It isn't a good idea to set all the USB ports to +5VSB at the same
    time. Since the current drawn is coming from +5VSB on your computer
    power supply, a lot of supplies only have 2 amps of current available
    on this voltage. So, using +5VSB to power your scanner or other
    cable powered and heavy loading device is not a good idea. For example,
    an Alcatel "Frog" ADSL modem draws 0.5 amps, and would be a USB
    device I would power from the other option, which is +5V. Note that
    one USBPWxx header controls two USB connectors.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 28, 2003

  3. jdc1

    jdc1 Guest

    Paul, yes, I have option to set jumper for USBPW1-2,USBPW3- from default
    of +5v to +5VSB. I only have a HP printer and reader card, so am I safe
    in setting jumper for increase on these? That will allow for +5VSB on
    USBPW 1-2, USBPW 3-4. Why do you suppose I need to do this in the
    first place?

    jdc1

[...]

    Paul[/QUOTE]

    jdc1, Jun 28, 2003
  4. jdc1

    jdc1 Guest

    FYI, I had tech configure new case. P4P800 allows for 8 USB. My front
    of case has 2 USB connectors too. I've not even tried those.
    I've tired setting USB option in BIOS to allow all 8 or allow just 2.
    That still resulted in not having Oly reader card boot up beep.
    Could you expand on why I might need to do this jumper setting?
    And thanks for your help.

    jdc1

    jdc1, Jun 28, 2003
  5. jdc1

    jdc1 Guest

    Paul, this is really funny (wierd). I cold powered off and on about 5
    times. One time I got 2 beeps and card seen. Next cold boot, 1 beep and
    card not seen. Next boot 1 beep and card seen. (HP printer is seen
    nicely regardless). It seems as if the power from my Enermax 350w psu
    is being routed in a fickle manner thru the boot up process.
    I have only hdd, cd-rw, cd-rom and vid and sound card and hp printer.
    Is your way a sure fire way without having to ponder why it does that?
    I hope I'm not going on too much about this.

    jdc1

    jdc1, Jun 28, 2003
  6. jdc1

    Capt Ron Guest

    I could never get mine to work with XP, either. I have a Crucial 6 in 1
    reader that works fine, but there is something about the MAUSB-1 that
    XP doesn't seem to like. Worked great on W98SE.

    Capt Ron, Jun 28, 2003
  7. jdc1

    jdc1 Guest

    Thanks for the explanation Paul. I appreciate it!

    jdc1

    My theory has been tested to work with things like a USB keyboard. At
    least one person managed to get their USB keyboard reliably detected,
    if the keyboard was powered by +5VSB. Basically, the idea is, that
    power is applied to the device all the time, as +5VSB is running
    as long as the switch on the back of the computer is in the "on"
    position. This means that your external USB device is powered up
    and is ready for the USB packets sent to it at POST and boot.
    If instead, a device is powered from +5V, then the motherboard
    and the USB device get their power at roughly the same time, when
    you press the switch on the front of the case. If the external USB
    device has a long hardware initialization time, the USB device may
    be "deaf" to the USB packets sent to it.

    In terms of other known bugs in USB, Nvidia released a technical note
    explaining why the Nforce2 chipset doesn't work with certain USB
    chips. They say that some USB devices are non-compliant with the
    USB spec, and the devices have too much "clock jitter". What this
    means is the data bits on the cable are wiggling out of their
    nominal position in time - this makes it more difficult for the
    circuit that finds the center of each data bit, to sample it, and
    to get the right value. More of the USB packets can get rejected
    as having errors, or the interface might simply conclude "I don't
    see a device". The Nvidia tech note identifies certain chips and
    you can read it here. The workaround is to use a USB2 hub, as
    apparently a 2.0 hub "reclocks" the data (and also implies that the
    hub is more resilient in the face of jittered data). I'm
    not suggesting that this is the problem with the P4P800, but only
    note this to say that sometimes the USB devices themselves are
    to blame for the problem:

    http://www.epox.de/_boarddetail/8rda+/nForce2_MCP-T_MCP_USB1.1_AppNote.pdf

    For the longest time, people have complained about certain ports
    on their motherboards not working, and I have to wonder if this
    kind of thing was the root cause.

    With respect to using USB on the front of the case, some people in
    this group are reporting that the cabling that comes with some cases
    is not USB 2.0 compliant, so they can only get the USB connector
    on the front of the case to work at USB 1.1 rates. So, if you have
    further trouble when using the front ports, just move to the USB ports
    on the back of the machine. Due to the 480Mb/sec data rate, a USB 2.0
    cable has to have very good transmission qualities to work properly.
    A handful of loose wires isn't going to cut it. (Look at an Asus adapter
    plate, as some of them look better constructed.)

    Finally, the BIOS can contribute to the problem. Perhaps a later BIOS
    has improved detection, simply by waiting a bit longer before probing
    the USB ports, or going through the reset procedure a few more times.

    HTH,
    Paul

    [/QUOTE]

    jdc1, Jun 28, 2003