P4P800E-Dlx POST strange behavior -- HELP

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Ruchika Jain, May 19, 2004.

  1. Ruchika Jain

    Ruchika Jain Guest

    I am putting together a new PC with the following configuration.

    Asus P4P800E-Dlx
    P4 2.8GHz
    Mushkin PC3500 512 MB 2X256 2-3-3
    Radeon 9600 Pro
    WD 36GB Raptor
    WinTV PVR 250

    Thnigs were going fine until I decided to change the default memory latency
    timings in the BIOS from 3-4-4 to 2-3-3

    Since then the problem is that during POST the computer just shuts down
    without any warnings. I plugged a powered speaker, but there are no warnings
    on the speaker either.

    I have unplugged all the other parts including the video card. If I remove
    the RAM there is a POST error message "System failed Memory Test". The next
    error message that it should give is about the VGA system failure. Since
    POST does not do this, I am assuming that my memory or MB does not like the
    aggressive timings in the BIOS.

    So how do I reset the BIOS to the original factory settings? I have tried to
    enter the BIOS but the computer shuts down before I enter the BIOS. Is there
    a hardware way to reset the BIOS to the original factory settings?

    Tarun
    -=-

    Ruchika Jain, May 19, 2004

  2. Ruchika Jain

    Paul Guest

    Section 2.6 in the Manual - "Clear RTC RAM".

    This is also know as "clearing the CMOS", as it zeros the contents
    of the Southbridge battery backed CMOS ram.

    The most important step in the manual, is to unplug the computer.
    If you don't do this, you can damage a component on the motherboard.
    Turn off and unplug the computer. Wait until the green "standby"
    LED on the motherboard stops glowing. Then, follow the procedure
    as stated in the manual.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 19, 2004