p4p800se and wdc2500ks 250gb sata: imo always use the asus-supplied sata cables

Discussion in 'Asus' started by fredo, Nov 1, 2006.

  1. fredo

    fredo Guest

    For a new machine with asus p4p800se m/b, I bought 2x250gb wdc2500ks
    drives. These drives came with wide (how wide? each has 4x the pins of
    the asus cable; connector extreme width = 2-7/16 inches ) cables. Since
    they were from wdc, I figured -- hey! -- they had to be better than the
    narrower asus cables. Manufacturer knows best. Plus: more pins =
    better!

    With the wdc cables, the machine crashed with no error report four
    times, and the first three times I had to (I thought) reload XPsp2. The
    fourth crash powered the machine down and made it unbootable.

    Desperate, I finally changed to the narrower (how narrow? 1/2 inch
    approx) asus-supplied cables. No problem so far. And everything runs
    faster.

    We've all heard many times about avoiding wdc software. This is the
    first time I've experienced seemingly-malicious wdc hardware.

    -- fredo http://www.simple-nude.com/

    fredo, Nov 1, 2006