    NX. I have looked thru the BIOS version 1005 but can't see anything
    like it . Any one been able to do this??

    Thanx in advance..

    Mutley, Nov 20, 2012

  2. Mutley

    Paul Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit

    "In the x86 architecture it was implemented by AMD, as NX bit,
    for use by its AMD64 line of processors, such as the Athlon 64 and Opteron."

    "After AMD's decision to include this functionality in its AMD64
    instruction set, Intel implemented a similar feature in x86 processors
    beginning with the Pentium 4 processors based on later iterations
    of the Prescott core."

    And that's likely a bit later than your processor.

    This P4 processor with 2MB cache, has NX. But it's LGA775 socket.

    http://ark.intel.com/products/27488...g-HT-Technology-2M-Cache-3_80-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

    Execute Disable Bit Yes

    You can look for yourself through some of the others,
    and see it's not there. On some of the pages, there
    isn't even room for an entry for it.

    "Intel Pentium 4 Processor"
    http://ark.intel.com/products/family/581

    If they listed a "year of introduction", it might be
    easier to trace down.

    My P4 doesn't work either :-(
    The last Win8 preview version, refused to install.
    Only my Core2 processors are candidates now.

    Besides, these newer OSes, they're happy running on one
    core when they're idle. But give them a bit of work to do,
    you'll be wishing for multiple cores. My laptop is a single
    core running Windows 7, and it runs out of steam without
    too much abuse. For example, I was trying to take pictures
    with a webcam today, and it was taking 20 seconds for the
    webcam control panel to show up. Slug slow... Needs a dual
    or quad core...

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 20, 2012

  3. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    Thanx Paul for your info.

    You confirmed what I suspected..

    Mutley, Nov 21, 2012
  4. I have an old PC here with the above mother board in it. I use it as
    Did you have much trouble installing Win7 on your P4PE?
    I have XP and wondering about upgrading to Win7.
    But the compability test gave lots of warning.
    Like for the build in S-ATA RAID controller (use that for my S-ATA HD)

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Feb 2, 2013
  5. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    No problems at all. Win 7 seems to pick up all the hardware. I'm
    just using IDE drives .

    Mutley, Feb 3, 2013