    several minutes...with a celeron all runs without problems...any ideas???

    thx

    phips

    phips, Apr 9, 2004

  2. phips

    John Smith Guest

    Check the temperature of the p4 (probe or BIOS).
    Do you have the latest BIOS.

    John Smith, Apr 10, 2004

  3. phips

    Paul Guest

    Post the SSPEC, the five character code that defines the characteristics
    of the processor. My bet is your P4 has FSB800 (i.e. it is a P4-C)
    and something on your board is not rated for operation that fast.
    If you want to look up the processor yourself, see:

    http://processorfinder.intel.com

    If it is an FSB800 processor, try using _only_ one stick of ram
    and place it in slot 3. One stick of ram should be stable at
    DDR400, assuming the one stick of ram is rated for PC3200
    or higher. If you want to use more ram, put the second stick
    in slot 1 and drop the CPU FSB clock manually in the BIOS so
    it will run stable.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 11, 2004
  4. phips

    Paul Guest

    Damn, forgot that is a 845PE board. The manual says to use slot 1,
    so I guess you are stuck using slot 1 for the single DIMM. This
    is not the best slot electrically, but unfortunately you don't
    have a choice, due to the way the control signals are wired.
    Stick with what the manual says to do.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 11, 2004