P4S533 - Continue with XP drivers or use latest ASUS drivers ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Devon, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Devon

    Devon Guest

    First off - for all that say that an 8X AGP card won't work in these
    boards - I just installed an ATI Radeon 9600XT in this board with no
    problems. I was concerned because I saw a number of posts of people having
    problems with newer video cards, so they might try this one.

    This system has been very stable, using all default XP drivers. BIOS is
    original 1006. Installed the latest ATI drivers after installing the video
    card. I noticed that there are updates on the Asus site for a number of my
    components, as will as BIOS updates.

    Since I have no issues that I know of, other than maybe the system being
    able to run even better ( or worse ) after applying the updates on Asus
    site - should I consider updating everything ( anything ) to a later rev ?

    Current Setup

    P4S533- onboard lan, audio ( BIOS 1006 ) - Could go up to 1010 or even beta
    1011.001

    Sis PCI IDE ver. 5.1.2600.0 (7/1/2001) - Could go up to Sis Mini IDE 2.04
    (7/28/2003)

    Sis 900 Based PCI Ethernet ver. 1.13.2.0 (7/1/2001) - Could go up to v.1.16b
    (4/15/2003)

    CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio ver. 5.12.1.643 (11/27/2002) - Could go back to
    12.01.0638 (7/12/2002) ???

    Under System Devices:

    SiS Processor to AGP Controller ver. 5.1.2600.0 (7/1/2001) - Could go to
    1.09 (5/21/2002)

    On ASUS site noticed a file that I don't have:

    SiS Accelaration Graphic Port 1.14 (4/15/2003) and that the previous version
    1.16a was an older date 1/17/2003 ( but higher version ? )

    I'm inclined to try the AGP updates, since my son complains that running his
    half-life games in 3D mode is not as smooth as the openGL mode. Shouldn't
    the 3D setting produce better results ?
    Furthermore - Battlefield 1942 can still get laggy at times (high video, low
    audio configured) - I figured that this should work flawlessly.
    I upgraded the video card in preparation for HL2 and DOOM3 and figured that
    the current games such as BF1942, HL, etc. should easily be able to work in
    the best / highest settings.

    Additional system info:
    Intel 1.6 ( not overclocked - when I set to 2.1GHz in BIOS, then video has
    problems )
    (1) 512 MB PC2700 DDR ( Default BIOS settings - 2.5,4,4,7 )
    Antec 330W True Power

    If you got this far, thanks for reading, and any suggestions would be
    greatly appreciated. I know I can try them (updated drivers)and go back, but
    I'd like to do this slowly, so as not to potentially introduce new issues,
    and will start with the most obvious updates for better performance.

    Devon

    Devon, Jan 24, 2004