p4S800D-X Will Not Stay On!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by EFiZzLe, May 23, 2006.

  1. EFiZzLe

    EFiZzLe Guest

    I have a problem with my current setup:

    P4 3.2ghz Intel CPU
    Above mentioned MB
    512mb pc3200 DDR Kingston stick
    Maxtor HD
    Gforce 128mb video card
    Case bought from Fry's ($90) w/ 350w power supply

    This machine has always been a little sketchy in terms of reliability.
    Sometimes it would work great and then at times it would have a problem
    booting up (clear the CMOS) or would unexpectantly reboot. Now upon
    startup it will shut itself down during the BIOS boot....I can't even
    get into the BIOS menu.

    I have swapped the memory with two different kinds, swapped video
    cards, even another power supply (iffy- another Fry's unit).

    Could it be the CPU or maybe still the power supply? I have a feeling
    the machine thinks the CPU was overclocked and goes bananas (sometimes
    I get the CPU overclock failure message). As a note, I have never
    overclocked anything on this machine.

    Where should I start here? Any suggestions would be
    appreciated....thanks!

    EFiZzLe, May 23, 2006

  2. EFiZzLe

    EFiZzLe Guest

    Just to add to my previous post:

    I was able to boot up the machine and get into the BIOS, but of course
    after a minute or two it shut itself down, but not before I got some
    Voltage numbers to share with all of you.

    CPU 188.5 F
    MB 77 F
    CPU Fan speed 2636rpm
    Core Voltage 1.34-1.36
    3.3V 3.34-3.36
    12V 11.79-11.85

    It seems that the voltage is pretty steady, but isn't the CPU running a
    little hot?

    Thanks

    EFiZzLe, May 23, 2006

  3. EFiZzLe

    daytripper Guest

    Depends on how you define "little".

    I'd say..........it's fricken' TOAST!
    COOL THAT BITCH DOWN YA BIG DUMMY!
    Yikes!

    daytripper, May 23, 2006
  4. Um, yeah.. Sounds to me like the heatsink isn't contacting the CPU properly.

    Robert Hancock, May 25, 2006