P4S8X-X: Playing DVD Crashes System

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Curt, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. Curt

    Curt Guest

    Specs:

    P4 2.0a 400mhz FSB
    768mb DDR PC2100
    Gigabyte/Radeon 7000 AGP 32mb
    Samsung SH-W08AEN 8xdual DVD Burner
    XP Home Edition

    I've all the latest bios and driver updates for this board, but no matter
    what DVD player I use, InterActual, PowerDVD, or WinDVD, the system crashes.
    When using the InterActual player I get a choppy picture and audio for about
    30 seconds or so before the system crashes. With WinDVD and PowerDVD, I get
    choppy audio but no video. I put a 64mb Radeon 9000 in the system, but the
    results were the same.

    I put the burner in a P4S800, P4 2.4 800mhz FSB, 512mb of DDR PC3200, 64mb
    Radeon 9000 system and had no problem at all. Any and all suggestions are
    welcome.

    Thanks,

    Curt.

    Curt, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Curt

    Paul Guest

    DVD playing is a pretty complicated thing to analyse. Your symptoms
    make it sound like drivers are in place, and those drivers have the
    applications you've tried, convinced that usable video and audio
    capability exists on your computer. The WinDVD and PowerDVD results
    almost sound like data is being queued up for video output, until
    whatever limit there is in the size of the data structure, is
    reached. Some DVD players, for example, adjust the player speed
    to run just fast enough, to keep a FIFO queue half filled with data.
    It sounds like the FIFO queue is filled with video data, but it
    is not being output.

    So, some things that could be broken:

    1) Bad memory. Test it with memtest86 from memtest.org
    2) Bad IDE interface or drive. You've proved by running it on another
    machine, that it works, so that probably isn't it.
    3) Is the DVD drive running in DMA mode or PIO mode ? If PIO, it
    could be your processor is running at 100% just trying to pull
    data from the DVD drive. See if there is some way to monitor
    percent CPU while the application is running, as without DMA
    enabled, your CPU could be swamped.
    4) Audio or video driver doesn't really support whatever operating
    mode the program needs. Perhaps you could try Windows Media Player,
    and see if it can handle streaming media to your video card,
    without a problem. Take a look in the application's preferences,
    to see what video output methods are supported - normal frame
    buffering, overlay plane, etc. Try another output method and
    see if it works better. One guy who had a problem like this on
    the TV output on his machine, got output by enabling the overlay
    method.
    5) PCI bus setting "Delayed Transaction" and "PCI Latency Timer".
    Reading data from the disk drive, travels over the PCI bus,
    or competes with the PCI bus for bandwidth. On some computers,
    enabling "Delayed Transaction" prevents the IDE interface from
    eroding what PCI bandwidth is available. This in turn, makes
    it possible for a PCI sound card to work properly. If you are
    using AC97 sound, I don't know what exact bus the AClink uses
    to get sound data, but that could be dependent or interact with
    PCI as well.

    Your BIOS has "PCI 2.1 Support", and that probably enables
    Delayed Transaction for you. So, your PCI 2.1 should be enabled.

    While the manual recommends "PCI Latency Timer" [32], you could
    experiment with a slightly lower setting. I wouldn't go below
    [16], because the impact on total system performance is too
    severe. At least varying this setting a bit, might help identify
    whether this is a bus issue or not. Lower settings make the
    pieces of hardware "share" with one another better, at the
    expense of efficiency.

    In an ideal world, I would want to decompose the problem into
    individual tests you could run. In this case, I don't know enough
    of the details about how a DVD plays, to be of more help. This
    could very well be a driver problem, but how do you tell what
    aspect of the driver is being used ?

    Drivers that might be involved:

    SIS IDE driver (would be nice if the standard MS one could be
    used instead)
    Chipset AGP driver
    Video card AGP driver, and Control Panel code
    DirectX - giving you DirectSound
    AC97 Soundmax sound driver

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 29, 2004

  3. Curt

    Curt Guest

    Paul,

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try them all and let you know how
    things turn out.

    Curt, Jul 30, 2004