    ?

    Any ideas , comments most welcome !

    Thanks

    Sparky, Nov 13, 2009

  2. It is possible to design a PS/2 mouse port such that it can be split,
    and the splitters that support this are readily available and
    inexpensive (under $10, sometimes under $5). However, not all PS/2
    ports do support this ... the port has to be designed specifically to
    enable such support. I do not know about your particular hardware, I
    can only suggest that you get a splitter and try it.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 14, 2009

  3. Sparky

    Paul Guest

    The P55M-UD2 manual says

    "Use this port to connect a PS/2 keyboard or mouse."

    but the manual doesn't give any other details. It makes
    it sound like the two ports are wired in parallel, and the
    BIOS probes the port to figure out what kind of device is
    connected. Then, the other functionality is left disabled.

    If your KVM doesn't have anything other than PS/2 interfaces,
    you could try a PS/2 to USB adapter on the computer end, and
    use that for the mouse port.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156004

    Read the reviews, since that device is not really universal. It
    has problems in some situations. The chip used, is actually
    a tiny processor running firmware. It does the protocol
    conversion.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16812156004

    I would sooner use the P55M-UD2 PS/2 port for a keyboard, as
    that is more likely to allow you to edit the BIOS screen. Then you
    could use the USB to dual PS/2 just for the PS/2 mouse port coming
    from the KVM.

    PS/2 keyboard --> KVM ---------------------------- P55M_UD2 PS/2 keyboard port
    PS/2 mouse -----> box --- PS/2 to USB adapter ---- USB port gets mouse input

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 14, 2009
  4. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Hi Paul

    Many thanks for your suggestions.
    I think I'll try the PS/2 for the keyboard , and USB for the mouse. The
    ridiculous part is that the mouse is USB , and I've already got 1 adapter to
    convert it for the KVM input.
    New hardware , new problems.....and then there's the SOFTWARE !!....and
    computers were going to give us ' all this free time ' ..... Now we spend
    it trying to get everything work.
    ......ain't it great ??? <G>

    Sparky, Nov 14, 2009