P5AD2-E Premium Computer restarts about 2 minutes after shutdown!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Bubba, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    Perhaps someone will be able to assist me with my problem. I have
    built a new computer.

    Asus P5AD2-E Premium Latest Bios 1004
    Intel 640 CPU 3.2ghz EM64T
    ATI Sapphire Radion 600Pro 256
    ATI TV Wonder VE TV Video Capture Card
    1GB OCZ DDR2 533 Ram x2 512
    x2 200gb Seagate Serial ATA
    80 Gb Maxtor IDE HD
    x4 CD\DVD Drives
    Enermax Noisetaker EG495P-VE 485 Watt Power
    Windows XP Pro SR2

    The computer works perfectly and the power supply is first class. I
    have no problem with heat as I run the system at factory setting. The
    CPU and box are cool. I do not overclock. After shutdown, I know the
    power supply fans keep running for a bit to continue to cool the
    system. About two minutes after shutdown about the time the fans
    should quit, the computer suddenly restarts itself. It will continue
    to full boot. The only way to shut down is to push the power button
    about 5 seconds after the self restart. This shuts down the system and
    the computer remains off. The power supply fans run about 2 minutes
    longer again but no restart. I have given the power supply some time
    to break in as there was a new smell during the first few days of use.
    I hoped that the fault would remedy itself with some use. The problem
    persists. The computer is built from all new parts and everything
    works perfectly. Perhaps someone will think of something I have
    missed. Please let me know if I can do anything to correct this
    problem. Thanks in advance.

    Tony

    Bubba, Apr 3, 2005

  2. Bubba

    S Guest

    Try:
    1: new power supply
    2. update BIOS
    3. disable all "Wake on..." options in BIOS and mouse/keyboard wake-up.

    S, Apr 3, 2005

  3. Bubba

    RobbiOne Guest

    me too with P5AD2 Deluxe dated oct 2004 (not E model).

    Bios updates didn't solve that problem.

    In my opinion the motherboard is defective and it should be replaced
    by Asus.

    Asus should well know that problem because I read other users with the
    same problem.

    Now I have a P5AD2-E Premium and I have again some strange problems:
    one of this is that my sata hard disk sometimed is not recognized by
    Bios at the boot, so in Windows it disappears. Turning off and
    rebooting make the HD working fine again.
    Another problem I have is on the video board (Sapphire X700) It stops
    suddendly to work and it recovers just after few seconds (driver ATI
    bugged, bad quality of Sapphire hw or management of PCI express not
    well tested yet?).

    In my opinion Asus has producted too complex motherboards not well
    tested with a lot of functions not requested by users and, in my
    opinion, completely unusefull. P5AD2 series are very high priced not
    reliable motherboards.
    In my opinion is not reliable at this time tha SATA protocol, the
    PCI-E x16 protocol and the DDR2 RAM support also.

    The last "rock solid" motherboard I had was the P4C800 with Asus
    videoboard (not Sapphire because it restarts sometimes) and DDR PC400
    RAM.

    RobbiOne

    RobbiOne, Apr 3, 2005
  4. Bubba

    Marc Stanton Guest

    I am inclined to agree that Asus motherboards are slowly losing their
    reputation as being well designed and reletively trouble free.
    This last year has seen a tremendous increase in problems and questionable
    motherboards from Asus.
    In our shop for eg. the A7N8X, P4P800 and now some P5 boards are dying at
    un-before seen rate.
    I'm not sure what's happening at Asus, but something has changed recently.
    We no longer install an Asus motherboard in any business system, unless
    requested by the customer and we are currently testing boards made by (sigh)
    Intel and Supermicro in the hopes that the return rate will drop.

    MS

    Marc Stanton, Apr 4, 2005
  5. Bubba

    Ben Guest

    Just a couple of ideas:

    "Wake on LAN" should be disabled in the bios if it isn't already.

    Also, check your bios under the ACPI settings (power management) to
    make sure that the settings there are doing what you want them to do
    (i.e. shutdown vs. suspend etc.)

    I seriously doubt that there's any motherboard failure in this case.

    -Ben

    Ben, Apr 4, 2005
  6. Bubba

    G Guest

    Are you using a 24pin power supply on the P5AD2-E Premium motherboard? I
    posted problems with SATA drives falling off the RAID Controllers and I
    believe it is now fixed when I used a 20pin to 24pin power adapter. The
    person who built the PC plugged a 20pin directly into the 24pin motherboard
    which is not recommended as per the Asus manual.

    G, Apr 7, 2005
  7. Bubba

    dwswager Guest

    Bubba,

    When you say shutdown do you mean S5 Shutdown or some other power state
    such as Hibernation (S4) or Standby (S1-S3)?

    If it is shutdown, I would suspect the powersupply as in shutdown, the
    PSU is not powering anything and there should be no WAKE ON issues.
    Nothing is getting power to know to wake up. Also since it is 2
    minutes after actual shutdown and only when the PSU fans quit spinning
    it leads me to the PSU.

    If, however, your talking S4 or S3 shutdown where all the fans would
    shutdown as well. There could be other issues. In this regime it
    could be any USB or LAN activity waking the computer. But the fact
    that it occurs regularly on a PSU event (FAN OFF) I'd still look at the
    PSU.

    dwswager, Apr 7, 2005
  8. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    With the Enermax EG495P-VE SFMA V2,0 24 Pin Power Supply I am using
    there is about 2 minutes of fan time before the fans shut down in the
    power supply after shutdown. I have powered down in Windows XP Sr2 as
    normal by selecting shutdown computer. I get the Windows shutting down
    screen as usual then the system shuts off. Everything seems normal.
    The monitor goes to sleep and the power supply fans are running. I
    think there is some connection with the fan shutdown times. At about
    when the fans power off (two minutes) the computer restarts. There is
    nothing running and there is no operating system. I am waiting for a
    reply from Enermax about this problem before I swap out the power
    supply.My best guess is an Enermax problem or the motherboard doesn't
    support fan delay and senses something that makes it think it's
    supposed to start up.Thanks for your help.

    Bubba

    Bubba, Apr 8, 2005
  9. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    The Power Supply I am using is an Enermax EG495P-VE SFMA V2,0 24 Pin
    Power Supply. The extra pins are already built into the cable so I
    don't need an adaptor. I understand that Asus doesn't recomend using a
    PS with only 20 pins although many people are getting away with it.
    When I was looking for a power supply I was able to see the adaptor
    cable. It was interesting for me to see how many computer store
    sellers wanted to unload their old inventory of Power Supplys. I spent
    a few dollars more and got this supply. My second choice was the
    ThermalTake Silent Pure 480 W0014 . I think it has 24 pins also. I
    suspect I wouldn't have this problem if I had taken it instead. Thanks
    for your help

    Tony

    Bubba, Apr 8, 2005
  10. Bubba

    JP Guest

    Is the PC attached to a network? Disconnect the ethernet cable and see
    if it still happens. I had a similar problem with a different ASUS
    board and the problem was the onboard Ethernet adapter had a Wake On
    setting buried in Device Manager.

    JP, Apr 8, 2005
  11. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    My problem has been solved! I have read where several postings suggest
    that I go into the device manager and under the Lan settings uncheck
    any wake on lan settings. I did this but the computer still restarted.
    One time before shutdown I removed the lan cable from the computer.
    The machine shutdown without restarting. This confirmed that the
    problem was within the lan function. I went back to the device manager
    and checked the properties for the Gigabit Lan one more time. Persons
    haveng a problem with computer restarting sometime after shutdown
    should enter properties of the Marvel Yukon 88e8053 Adaptor and
    choose Advanced. My Lan 'Wake Up Capabilities' was set to 'Magic
    Packet and Pattern Match' .Change it to 'None'. Wake From Shutsown'
    should be 'Off'! This solved my problem. I feel sorry I didn't see
    this sooner.
    Thanks to all that posted!
    Tony

    Bubba, Apr 14, 2005
  12. Bubba

    scaistar Guest

    Dear friends,
    i have a P5AD2-E (P5 3.5) and going crazy due to RAID 0 failure.
    Some time have RAID FAILURE.. sometimes have ONE of two Maxtor HD 25
    GB failure. Some times Windows start, but a two cylinder icon say tha
    an error occurred on Raid and must save all work.
    My re-seller have changed BOTH TWO MAXTOR DISK to avoid disk problem
    But after one day at work.... th day after at power on have new RAI
    FAILURE. Now i can write because after CTRL+I and Y for restore
    Windows can start. But i can't go on in this way.
    (my reseller when i have buyed PC change original Power supply case
    with an Enermax 450 Watt.)

    Please help m

    scaistar, May 23, 2006
  13. Bubba

    Paul Guest

    failure. Some times Windows start, but a two cylinder icon say thatan
    error occurred on Raid and must save all work.
    after one day at work.... th day after at power on have new RAIDFAILURE.
    Now i can write because after CTRL+I and Y for restore,Windows can start.
    But i can't go on in this way.
    If you are overclocking, return the clock settings to default and
    try again. It could be that the SATA clock on the Southbridge, is
    influenced by some other setting. Maybe that causes SATA corruption.

    Since I don't have a clear enough photograph of the motherboard, it
    is hard to make out what clock generator chip is being used. Even
    with the part number, the datasheet cannot always be found on
    the ICS web site. It is possible the same 100MHz clock, is used
    for PCI Express lanes and SATA disk interfaces. If you have overclocked
    the PCI Express lanes, maybe that is the cause of the SATA problems.

    Paul

    Paul, May 23, 2006