P5B DH Deluxe, Raid, and AHCI question

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Rob, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Rob

Rob Guest

My latest build of a P5B DH Deluxe has 3 SATA drives. I run them all of my ICH7R chip. I installed XP Pro using F6 where I installed
    the RAID driver for the ICH7R and it went smoothly.

I have 2 of the drives as RAID0, which is my C: boot drive. I then have a 3rd SATA drive as a single, IDE type drive also running
    off the ICH7r.

My question is, should I also have loaded the AHCI driver for this single drive? I'm assuming that since I only loaded the RAID
    driver for the ICH7R when I installed XP Pro, that the 3rd drive is simply running in IDE mode.

Is running the non-raid SATA drive in AHCI mode possible? Does it give added performance when accesssing that drive? Or should I
    leave things, which are running smoothly, as they are now?

Rob, Oct 8, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Rob

Phil Guest

The Intel Matrix Storage Manage driver covers both RAID and AHCI modes. I've
    never setup a RAID array, so I'm not sure what you see in the BIOS, but I
    would imagine that any SATA drives that do not belong to the array will
    automatically be running in AHCI mode.

Open up the Intel Matrix Storage Console to see the drive info.

-phil

Phil, Oct 8, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Rob

Rob Guest

Thanks Phil:

I opened the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, and it shows my two drives as Raid0, the 3rd drive is listed as "Non-Raid Disk".

I'm not sure what an AHCI mode is... is it an enhanced (faster performance) than IDE? I do know that my 3rd SATA drive is running
    like an IDE (independant of the RAID drives). I never loaded any AHCI driver, just the RAID driver using F6 when prompted when
    loading in Windows XP Pro.

I was just wondering if I'd get better disk perf out of the 3rd drive if I had also installed the "AHCI" mode driver. Other than
    that, all works fine.

The "Type/Status" description of the 3rd drive under the Intel Matrix Manager simply says "Non-RAID Disk". Does that mean I'm
    getting as good of disk perf as I can from the 3rd (non-Raid) drive?

Thanks again.

Rob, Oct 8, 2006
  4. Rob

Phil Guest

As I said in my first reply, there is only one driver for RAID/AHCI - the
    Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver. Where things are unclear to me is how
    to set non-RAID SATA drives indivually, since RAID mode has been selected in
    the BIOS. I still think it's likely that your non-RAID SATA drive is running
    in AHCI. AHCI enables certain native SATA features, like NCQ (Native Command
    Queuing) and hot-plugging. If your non-RAID SATA supports NCQ, and NCQ is
    enabled, it is NOT running as Standard IDE.

-phil

Phil, Oct 8, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question