    which didn't help.

    Thanks,

    Jim Krol

    Jim Krol, Jun 25, 2007

  2. Jim Krol

    RobV Guest

    What make, wattage PSU do you have? Does it have a 24 pin connector for
    the ATX 2 socket and do you have the 4-pin plug plugged in near the CPU?

    RobV, Jun 25, 2007

  3. Jim Krol

    mr deo Guest

    Did you do a fresh install of windows?..

    If the p5b had say a p4 or any other single core cpu, then swapping out the
    cpu and starting the pc (after windows is installd ofc) will result in just
    1 cpu being used..

    So I guess that's the best place to start..
    Fresh INSTALL of windows (and what version of windows?)

    mr deo, Jun 25, 2007
  4. Jim Krol

    Paul Guest

    The first thing I'd check - go to Device Manager, check the "Computer" entry.
    The subentry underneath it is the HAL or Hardware Abstraction Layer.

    For the more trivial HAL changes, you change the "Driver" for the HAL
    entry. That process is described in an example here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237556/en-us

    If the computer was using a HAL of "Standard PC", you'd be in a real
    mess. If, on the other hand, you're at "ACPI Uniprocessor PC", it
    is going to be five minutes work to update the driver so that it
    reads "ACPI Multiprocessor PC". Once you reboot, Task Manager should
    start to show all your cores.

    In the BIOS, there has to be support for ACPI. Occasionally, a bad
    BIOS design will upset the repair install you are doing, and
    bugger up the HAL entry. You have to make sure, that all the necessary
    features have been turned on in the BIOS, before doing the repair
    install. Otherwise, you'll need to fix Suspend To RAM with
    programs like Microsoft's "dumppo", and mess around with
    HAL changes and the like.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 25, 2007
  5. Jim Krol

    Jim Krol Guest

    This put me on the right track, but alas there is no joy in Mudville.
    When I try to set up HAL in the setup the only option I get is i486 c-
    <something> None of the acpi options.WinXP x64 gives me the multi option
    but crashes when windows reboots to install. Is there something I have
    to set in bios to tell it to run multiprocessor mode.I took the default
    configuration in the bios. It looks like the bios is not telling windows
    that it has a multiprocessor installed.Do I need to RMA this board
    again! The first one would not even POST. I have always used the other
    "A" companies motherboards and never had a problem. People have always
    given great Kudos to Asus boards so I thought I'd try one. This
    experience has not endeared me to Asus. Even a cheapo ECS board i used
    came right up in multiprocessor mode. Any bios settings I should try??
    Or, is there another 2 week RMA in my future.

    Thanks,
    JK

    Jim Krol, Jun 27, 2007
  6. Jim Krol

    Jim Krol Guest

    I tried a repair. Now I am working on fresh installs. Winxp Sp 2 does
    not recognize multiprocessor. See my other reply for the sad tale of
    woe.

    Thanks,

    JK

    Jim Krol, Jun 27, 2007
  7. Jim Krol

    Jim Krol Guest

    I think power is OK. All the power receptacles are full, the four holer and
    the main are all full. The case is recent. less than 6 months so it should
    have proper power. 400+ watts.

    Thanks,

    JK

    Jim Krol, Jun 27, 2007
  8. Jim Krol

    Paul Guest

    I cannot see anything too obvious. There is an "ACPI 2.0" setting
    which is [Disabled] by default. I presume Windows can install with
    a couple different values for that, so that probably isn't the problem.

    The BIOS does pass a table of info, during POST, which is used by the
    OS or OS installer, for setup. Maybe something is amiss there, but the
    Asus CPUSupport page seems to show little reason to have to change the
    BIOS version, to support the newest processors.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusuppo...?type=1&name=P5B-Plus&SLanguage=en-us&cache=1

    The download page lists a 0604 BIOS, with:

    "Add new uCode to support new processors"

    There was a microcode patch for Core2 released recently, and the
    Microsoft microcode loader also received a copy of new microcode.
    BIOS images have a microcode section in them, supporting multiple
    family codes, and that is where a microcode patch would come from
    during POST. For an OS like WinXP, Microsoft has their own microcode
    loader. It tries to load a more recent microcode, if for example,
    one was downloaded during Windows Update. The microcode loader would
    be doing this when the desktop appears, so the most recent microcode
    patch would be missing during the boot sequence.

    I don't see a setting in the manual, for disabling cores, but maybe
    there is one there somewhere. Since your install is detecting
    some freaky looking HAL, there must be some problem with the tables
    being passed from the BIOS.

    If you are on broadband, you could get a copy of Knoppix (Knopper.net)
    and burn the 700MB ISO to a CD. Boot from the CD and watch the boot
    messages. See if four "Penguin" icons appear, as that suggests Linux
    has picked up the four cores. The Linux boot sequence will display
    text messages, and some of those will include little snippets about
    the BIOS tables being passed and used. Possibly the "dmesg" command
    could be used later, to review the bootup text messages.

    DMI 2.3 present.
    ACPI: RSDP (v000 PTLTD ) @ 0x000f7100
    ACPI: RSDT (v001 PTLTD RSDT 0x06040000 LTP 0x00000000) @ 0x7fefcf28
    ACPI: FADT (v001 AMD TECATE 0x06040000 PTL 0x000f4240) @ 0x7fefef2e
    ACPI: MADT (v001 PTLTD APIC 0x06040000 LTP 0x00000000) @ 0x7fefefa2
    ACPI: DSDT (v001 AMD AMDACPI 0x06040000 MSFT 0x0100000d) @ 0x00000000
    Using ACPI (MADT) for SMP configuration information

    If you run out of other things to try, then a BIOS update might be
    a possible next step.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 27, 2007
  9. Jim Krol

    ggs Guest

    Disable ACPI 2.0

    *
    Core2Duo E6400, P5B Dlx/Wi-Fi, 2048MB/533, Sapph_X1600XT
    CT-A2ZS1394,CT-InspireP580 5.1,TV2000XPExp,Hyundai_IQ790
    3xST3250620NS,SD-M1712/GSA-H22LRBBU,GPS-350BB-101A

    ggs, Jun 29, 2007