P5GL-MX Extremely slow startup and performance

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Maddy, May 27, 2006.

  1. Maddy

    Maddy Guest

    I have a pentium 5 HT 3GHz with ASUS P5GL-MX motherboard. I have an IDE
    Samsung 40GB hard drive connected to it. The computer takes a lot of
    time to strat up. The general timing is as follows
    On switching on to completion of memory check - 04 sec
    Upto detection of hard drive - 30 sec (The initial BIOS logo keeps
    displaying throughout this time)
    If booting from CD, it detects the CD and immediately boots up
    But if booting from HDD, it says booting from HDD and the screen goes
    blank.
    When windows was loaded, it remained blank for about a minute before
    the Windows XP loading screen appeared.
    When the linux boot-loader is being used, it takes 30 sec for the 'GRUB
    Stage1.5' message to come. Thereafter another 30 Sec for the GRUB
    Overall, it takes around 3 min for the computer to be ready for use.
    Finally the operation of the computer itself is very slow (even when
    Windows has just been
    installed). It keeps hanging/freezing. This especially happet/ My
    Pictures. The screen just freezes and it takes a minute for the screen
    to refresh.
    Could anybody help me out? Can it be becoz I use a IDE drive. Would
    buying a SATA drive help?
    Thanks
    Nitin

    Maddy, May 27, 2006

  2. Maddy

    Paul Guest

    There is benchmarking software here, for Win2K or WinXP:

    http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach

    Notice in the picture, how the data rate at the left of the
    plot, is higher than the data rate at the right of the plot.
    The beginning of the disk data area is faster than the end.
    A good 7200 RPM disk can manage maybe 60MB/sec on the left
    of the plot (the beginning of the disk) and 40MB/sec on
    the right hand side.

    If the plot is flat, and the data rate measured is a constant
    4 MB/sec or lower, you are in PIO mode. It means the transfer
    mode for the disk is wrong, and that is why it is so slow.

    The reason for this, has to do with the Windows response to
    getting errors from the disk. If Windows sees errors, it
    slows down the transfer rate, in steps, in an attempt to
    achieve error free communications. This could be caused by
    a bad cable (like cheap rounded cables for IDE) or bad
    connector contact (happens some times on SATA drives and
    cables). The "workaround" is mentioned here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

      "After the Windows IDE/ATAPI Port driver (Atapi.sys) receives a
       cumulative total of six time-out or cyclical redundancy check
       (CRC) errors, the driver reduces the communications speed (the
       transfer mode ) from the highest Direct Memory Access (DMA) mode
       to lower DMA modes in steps. If the driver continues to receive
       time-out or CRC errors, the driver eventually reduces the transfer
        mode to the slowest mode ( PIO mode )."

    WORKAROUND
    To re-enable the typical, or faster, transfer mode for an
    affected device:

    1. Double-click Administrative Tools , and then click
    Computer Management .
    2. Click System Tools , and then click Device Manager .
    3. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers node.
    4. Double-click the controller for which you want to
    restore the typical DMA transfer mode.
    5. Click the Driver tab.
    6. Click Uninstall.
    7. When the process completes, restart your computer.
    When Windows restarts, the hard disk controller is
    re-enumerated and the transfer mode is reset to the
    default value for each device that is connected to the
    controller.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 27, 2006

  3. Maddy

    Dave J. Guest

    I wonder if this is in some way similar to my latest hassle with my
    friend's perishin KV8 MB.

    It seems to recognise other drives (or at least, other installations of
    windows start to boot until they kick the bucket thanks to the different
    hardware) but it absolutely refuses to see my Samsung 40GB as bootable, no
    matter what I do.

    If I try to install 'doze on it when it's clean (low-level blank) the the
    XP setup tries to format it and fails halfway through. If I put a
    partition on it elsewhere and start the install, it seems to work fine
    until reboot time comes along, and then fails to detect that the drive is
    bootable. It detects the drive correctly, just refuses to boot. The same
    happens if I do an entire install on a different system (where it works
    fine) and then switch the drive to the Asus.

    Weird. Looks like I'll have to sell him an old 120GB drive, which seems to
    hold more hope as the installation that's on there now at least halfway
    boots before giving me a hardware change type crash.

    Dave J.

    Dave J., May 31, 2006