    Turning off S.M.A.R.T. in BIOS and setting SATA time from 35 to 5 seems
    to fix the problem.

    How come ?

    Steve Stone, Feb 7, 2009

  2. Steve Stone

    hiperboreus

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    seagate.custkb.com seagate crm selfservice search.jsp?DocId=207931
    i think will solve the problem. Check carefully the serial number of the harddrive against the ones posted there because a wrong firmware can transform your beloved Seagate in an expensive paperweight.:D
    Put the "/" where you have blank space, i`m too fresh for this bloody forum to post any urls.

    hiperboreus, Feb 8, 2009

  3. Steve Stone

    McCorkindale Guest

    McCorkindale, Feb 9, 2009
  4. Steve Stone

    Steve Stone Guest

    I doubt if the problem is due to a power issue if turning off SMART
    monitoring prevents the problem from happening.
    The power supply is a Seasonic S12-500. The caps look good on the MB and
    in the PS.

    Steve Stone, Feb 9, 2009
  5. Steve Stone

    OldMan Guest

    Was it not seagate who reported some problems with some hd series?

    OldMan, Feb 10, 2009
  6. Steve Stone

    Steve Stone Guest

    Yes, however the drive I purchased is not within the serial number range
    of the failure. (famous last words!)

    Steve

    Steve Stone, Feb 10, 2009
  7. Steve Stone

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <gmstfi$uli$> Steve Stone
    Even if it were, these aren't the described symptoms.

    DevilsPGD, Feb 11, 2009
  8. Steve Stone

    Steve Stone Guest

    I turned off SMART based on a similar failure reported in the ASUS web
    site tech forums.

    Steve Stone, Feb 11, 2009
  9. Steve Stone

    Rob Guest

    IME, SMART isn't. It cannot be trusted to report internal drive errors
    when they occur, so all I use it for these days is monitoring drive temps.
    So, IMO, you're not missing much by disabling it.

    Rob, Feb 12, 2009