    comments please! What do YOU think of this mobo?

    TIA !!
    René

    René Heijmans, Feb 23, 2007

  2. René Heijmans

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Feb 23, 2007

  3. René Heijmans

    woops Guest

    I've got the similiar P5N SLI (1gb mem, E6600 Intel duo core) and have some
    of the problems others mention usb and hot north and southbridge chips:
    In XP and Linux, all usb ports are dead and once worked but all died at
    once - may be related to my addition of SATA drives along with my IDE's but
    I've not confirmed this. That means you cannot boot from a usb device even
    if you add a usb card (I did - cannot live with out lots of usb these days).

    The bios does not pick anywhere near the optimum memory timing even though
    it reads the suggestions off the memory just fine.

    The web based very easy bios updater never connects to any of the ASUS
    servers - tried many times. The manual flash utility works OK. Not much in
    the way of overclocking is possible with this board - probably limited on
    purpose to avoid additional heat load.

    I'm slightly unhappy with the board and will upgrade one of these days.

    woops, Feb 23, 2007
  4. René Heijmans

    DRS Guest

    I've just built two systems based on this motherboard and thus far they've
    been excellent. One had an E6600, 8800GTX, 2x1GB OCZ 6400 Titanium EPP,
    Antec P180 case, Antec NeoHE 550 PSU. The other an E6700, XFX 8800GTX XXX,
    2x1GB OCZ 6400 Platinum R2 (the 6400 Titanium EPP was withdrawn by the local
    OCZ distributor last week), Antec P182SE case, Antec NeoHE 550 PSU. I have
    seen no signs of the motherboard overheating some people complained of.

    I would point out though that both shipped with Rev 0602 BIOS. The first
    thing I did once I got them to POST was to upgrade the BIOS to 1002 using
    the BIOS Flash utility and the 1002.bin on floppy.

    DRS, May 4, 2007