    devices and chipset.

    Any suggestions ?
    Thank for reply and Happy Easter from Switzerland

    Gianni Piccolo, Apr 8, 2009

  2. Gianni Piccolo

    Paul Guest

    If you look in the BIOS, there are two settings.

    HD Audio Controller [Auto]

    HDMI Audio [Auto]

    If you wish to use the Analog audio on the back panel
    of the computer, then disable the "HDMI audio". That
    will prevent confusion, where the audio signals are
    forwarded digitally over the HDMI video cable.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi

    Audio signal - LPCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD-Audio,
    Super Audio CD, Dolby TrueHD,
    DTS-HD Master Audio, MPCM

    It is possible the same audio driver, controls both
    of them. At least with an ATI implementation of
    HDMI audio, the driver was from RealTek. Your motherboard
    does have a RealTek chip for the analog controller (ALC883),
    so perhaps the same driver is used for both ?

    In any case, I would try disabling "HDMI Audio" and
    try to install the driver again.

    Before doing that, you can also look in your "Sound"
    Control Panel and the Audio tab in that dialog, and
    see what sound device is selected. It is possible to
    manage more than one sound device, from the Sound
    control panel.

    *******
    HDaudio requires Microsoft UAA (universal audio architecture)
    driver. Usually, a driver package will include a hot fix
    version of UAA. Your copy of WinXP SP3 may already have
    a UAA driver installed. Since you didn't mention any
    problems installing the driver, perhaps this is not
    necessary.

    Example of the five steps suggested by Asus Tech Support...

    http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware/msg/aa56726d080f15bb?dmode=source

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 9, 2009

  3. Thanks Paul

    With a new installation of Win XP the fix works perfect.
    With my old XP installation and all my software trings, I probably made
    a registry overkill and the fix didn't work.

    thanks very much from switzerland, gianni

    Gianni Piccolo, Apr 20, 2009