P5N-MX - can't see PCI-E card

Discussion in 'Asus' started by tallon, Oct 23, 2013.

  1. tallon

    tallon

    I recently got this message on my PC when booting up:

    Warning System Boot Fail:
    Your system last boot fail or POST interupted
    Please enter setup to load defaults and reboot again

    Press F1 to continue or del to enter setup

    I found that if I just pressed F1, it continued to boot and work fine and meant to deal with it sometime, but didn't get round to it...

    Then I upgraded my graphics card, and now the board can't see the card - I get the 'no signal' error on my monitor. However, I'm able to use the PC by putting a VGA cable on the on-board socket and I found out:
    - entering setup and loading defaults appears to achieve nothing at all
    - the PCI-E option for priority of card is ticked in the bios settings (others are: PCI and onboard graphics)
    - I've flashed the bios to the latest version - no change
    - I've changed the CMOS battery - no change
    - I've checked the card on another PC - it's fine (and I didn't find any obvious compatibility problems on the web for the Radeon HD 6870 and the Asus P5N-MX motherboard)
    - Device manager can't see the card
    - a hardware scan doesn't see the card
    - on one occasion of booting and re-booting I managed to get the card to work - yippee! - but as soon as I re-booted it went back to not seeing the card again - and I have no idea of what I did to get it to work

    I'm reluctant to disable the on-board graphics, because then I wont be able to see anything, so I'll be totally screwed.

    I'm now out of ideas.... anyone help?

    UPDATE:
    I went through various testing routines for all the components again and discovered that if I add a VGA convertor to my DVI lead it will 'see' and

    work with a VGA screen, plus Device Manager now recognises the card is there. THEN, if I take the VGA connector off and connect to a DVI socket on

    the same screen it all works perfectly. Bizarre. Anyone know why this would work???

    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    tallon, Oct 23, 2013