    better choises, let me now.

    Thanks!

    Werner

    Driekes, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Driekes

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    I have no experience with the board, but I'd assume that it's good. (I had
    good performance and stability with a P4P800, which is a similar board but
    for Socket 478.)

    Just to be sure, are you aware that the P5P800 is an 865PE board with an LGA
    775 socket? It does not use PCI-E graphics, or DDR2 memory. From my point of
    view, those could both be advantages, as PCI-E seems not to offer advantages
    over AGP at this time, and DDR2 likewise may not be better than DDR at its
    present clock frequencies. (Plus, DDR2 may cost more than DDR, although the
    prices may become more equal as the DDR2 share of the market expands.)

    My own system, for the past four weeks, has been an A8V with an Athlon 64
    3500+. I wanted to get the most out of an expensive AGP graphics cards
    (Geforce 6800 GT), and this seemed like the best upgrade for the money. This
    is my first AMD based system, and it seems to have been a good choice.

    HTH.

    Bob Knowlden

    Bob Knowlden, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Driekes

    hal9k Guest

    Hi Bob,

    Any issues with the Via chipset? I had an AMD 1 ghz with the Via
    complement and had a host of minor (poor disk performance) to more
    serious issue like weird reboots and incompatibilities with some video
    cards.

    hal9k, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Driekes

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    It has only been four weeks, but things seem hopeful.

    The drive performance (SATA RAID 0 on the Via controlller) hasn't been
    impressive, but I believe that it was equal to what I saw on the P4P800.
    Maybe the WD1600JD drive isn't the fastest thing this side of a Raptor.

    The only graphics card that has been in the system was the Geforce 6800 GT.
    The nVidia drivers seem to get along fine with the Via AGP drivers. (I've
    tried several nVidia drivers; I'm using the leaked 66.81 drivers at the
    moment.) I haven't had to turn off fast writes.

    I've read complaints about Via chipsets in the past. Via seems to have
    become the lead supplier for AMD desktop systems, though, so I hoped that
    meant that their drivers had matured. So far, no regrets.

    Bob Kn.

    (snip)

    Bob Knowlden, Oct 25, 2004