P5P800 MARVELL YUKON ETHERNET CONTROLLER PROBLEM?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by KenL, Nov 18, 2006.

  1. KenL

    KenL Guest

    I have a P5P800 MB (replaced by ASUS with a reconditioned board) with a 3.2
    MHz Pentium D which has been less than a reliable system since day one. The
    system is running Win XP with all the latest fixes and drivers. However, I
    keep my old faithful P4PE system running for day to day reliability. The
    P5P800 has intermittent crash problems and goes through spurts when it will
    not identify the mouse if it is connected to a USB port. I could live with
    those problems since I have condemned the system to part time use in the
    basement (heat generation) but I have a new issue that is more serious. I
    installed a SMC Gigabit switch so that I could transfer large files faster
    between systems on the in-house network. Once again the P4PE system
    switched to gigabit mode and has never had a problem. The P5P800 with the
    Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 (driver version 8.41.1.3) has major problems
    in gigabit mode. Sometimes it will boot and run "ok" for an hour or so and
    then crash. Most times it just crashes during the boot process. As soon as
    I re-connect it to a 100 max speed switch it boots and runs properly.
    Before I just give up and throw this ASUS P5P800 MB in the garbage is there
    some setting in the Marvell Yukon driver that needs to be manually changed
    to make it work in the gigabit mode? Also, is there any other MB out there
    (other than the ARock) that will let me run the Pentium D with 2 Gig of DDR
    400 memory? I waited too long to buy a P5P800 SE. If not, the ARock seems
    to get pretty good reviews but I will need to find a gigabit NIC card since
    the ARock onboard controller only supports 10/100. Since I have SMC
    Switches is the SMC gigabit controller card the best choice? Lots of
    questions. Input on any of the above would be appreciated.

    KenL, Nov 18, 2006

  2. KenL

    KenL Guest

    Make that an Asrock Motherboard.

    KenL, Nov 18, 2006

  3. I have been running the P5P800 since they came out with a 3.4 GHz
    Prescott CPU with zero problems other than the NIC. I installed a NIC
    card to avoid having to deal with it and the problems with the drivers.
    The only problem I ever had, other than installing the heat sink
    properly the first time, is that the placement of the CPU at the top of
    the board put it too close to the power supply in my original case and
    it ran way too hot. Replacing the case with one with more clearance
    solved that problem. It works fine with 2x512 MB and 2x1024 MB memory
    for a total of 3 GB all running at full speed. The only thing I noticed
    is that if I overclock by more than a couple of percent the memory speed
    drops.

    Michael W. Ryder, Nov 19, 2006
  4. KenL

    KenL Guest

    I guess you are saying you too had problems with the onboard Marvell Yukon
    controller. Were you running it @ 10/100 or @ gigabit speed?

    KenL, Nov 19, 2006
  5. KenL

    Fishface Guest

    KenL wrote (seriously snipped):

    I have P4P800SE with a Marvell/Yukon controller. The Asus website specifies
    some 3COM driver for the the P4P800. Perhaps yours is another variation?
    Regardless, I had trouble with various drivers losing connection with my router
    and requiring a restart, and another shutting down my system (thanks, Windows
    Update). For my board, the Asus website lists driver version 7.29.2.3. I am
    running version 7.29.4.3 without trouble, but not in gigabit mode. Newer is not
    always better, it seems-- you might give those drivers a try.

    As in four sticks?

    Fishface, Nov 19, 2006
  6. KenL

    Fishface Guest

    On my P4P800SE, I have to boot with a 199MHz memory clock and
    raise with ClockGen to get maximum memory bandwidth. Although I
    don't see your board listed here:

    http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

    ....you may be able to find your PLL chip and read the number, or
    even Google for it. I have used a digital camera for reading part
    numbers on chips with great success.

    Fishface, Nov 19, 2006
  7. KenL

    Ken Guest

    2 sticks - I broke down and ordered the SMC Gigabit NIC card. We'll see how
    that works in gigabit mode instead of the onboard Marvell controller. If
    not, its good bye ASUS P5P800 and on to the the Asrock board where I need
    the NIC gigabit card anyway.

    Ken, Nov 19, 2006
  8. I was trying to use it at 10/100 and it was too unreliable. Then of
    course Microsoft Update had a new driver version which totally trashed
    anyone that used it. I decided that the Marvel was not yet ready for
    prime time and went with someone that has been doing it for a few years.

    Michael W. Ryder, Nov 20, 2006
  9. KenL

    Ken Guest

    It was an old Cat5 Patch Cable causing the problem! It worked fine @ 100
    for years but failed @ 1000. I apologize ASUS and Marvell.

    Ken, Nov 23, 2006
  10. KenL

    Ken Guest

    One last post - I UNDO my apology to Marvell and ASUS! I took out the SMC
    NIC and went back to the onboard Marvell Ethernet controller connected to
    the gigabit switch and the system crashed after 10 minutes. I turned off
    the Marvell controller and reinstalled the SMC NIC and the system has been
    running on the gigabit switch error free for a couple of days! In sum, I
    had two issues 1) a bad patch cable and 2) a bad Marvell Ethernet controller
    on the P5P800 MB.

    Ken, Nov 26, 2006
  11. Now you see why I never bothered with the controller after the first
    failure. Supposedly new drivers, etc. were supposed to fix the problem,
    but they should never have existed in the first place. My add-in NIC
    has never had a problem.
    Unfortunately the built-in components seem to be vastly inferior to the
    add-in cards. I have noticed sound "glitches" with the built-in sound
    on two different motherboards that I don't think would have occurred
    with a SoundBlaster or its like. When you hear a sound effect several
    seconds after it should have occurred that strikes me as a problem,
    whether it is with the chip or the drivers it doesn't matter.

    Michael W. Ryder, Nov 27, 2006