P5P800 MX assistance request

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Tundra, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. Tundra

    Tundra

    Alright, I've got an annoying problem, I'll try to be as specific as possible, but I'm not the most detailed person on the planet.

    My wife's old computer's motherboard died and needed changing. She had an older model with an AMD 2.4 ghz processor in it. I liked my Intel, so i got her a Asus P5VDC-MX LGA775 DDR Pentium 550 3.4Ghz 1MB 800FSB from www.pc-ontime.com (lots of bad things to say about them and no good things). The User guide i received says it's a P5P800 MX, but that may be incorrect, as i refer to the company i got it from as "Those @#!*".

    All the connections were correct the first time it powered on like a champ. No issues with smacking the case or pleading in the slightest!

    She's running a Nvidia 7800 GS, Latest drivers from Nvidia.
    I've installed the latest BIOS from ASUS' site,
    Installed the latest Intel Chipset (i'm told it's 865GV).
    She's got 2 512 DIMM's for her RAM.
    her computer ran excellently before the motherboard stopped responding.

    The Problem:

    Startup takes almost 3 minutes before the windows logo even pops up.
    Opening firefox takes almost 30 seconds to respond.
    In graphics intensive applications (My wife plays WoW) it'll run smoothly for 2 - 10 seconds then grind to a crawl, (2-5 frames a second) then pop back to her standard 30-50 FPS.

    She had no issues related to malware, spyware, viruses, or any of the like before the change, and i've cleaned her system throughly with a plethora of various programs.

    I've called the ASUS tech support, they had me try the board with one DIMM (ran worse, took longer), reset the BIOS to the factory settings (Ran even slower then my changes) and one guy just outright lied. (he said he was taking down numbers for call backs, yeah right...)

    Is there anything other then a full windows reinstall that i could try to correct this issue? I have that option as a last resort, but i really don't want to move the contents of her HDD onto mine before formatting. Please help, thanks.

    - Tundra

    Tundra, Sep 19, 2006
  2. Tundra

    Tundra

    Bump

    Still having the issue, been on the phone with Asus' tech support people, don't have a clue what's happening. Any input would be enjoyed.

    Tundra, Sep 27, 2006