    plays in matrix? I don't have another 5.1 speaker system to try so I need a
    way to trouble shoot it please. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    thank you.

    me, Jan 12, 2011

  2. me

    Paul Guest

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/36-121-006-S07?$S640W$

    If the Matrix setting, caused all speakers to emit sound,
    then you know it isn't a hardware issue.

    On some sound control panels, there is a setting to swap
    the electrical signal on the Center and the Sub. If that
    were to happen by accident, a low frequency sub signal, sent
    to Center, wouldn't give you very much output. You might
    mistake that for a dead speaker, or a dead output signal.

    OK, I found this. Your computer has two pieces of software.
    The Soundmax driver and the Blackhawk thing from Sonic ?

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5E&id=20080214025722906&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    "Posted:2/14/2008 5:13:00 PM

    v30 I found that my 5.1 didnt work any more. (centre and sub wasnt working)
    v28 I found that my 5.1 did work but it broke my mp3s????? (mp3s that
    previously worked fine in windows media player now says in the player
    that it cannot recognise the file format??)

    I had to go back to the one you download off the asus site.
    5.1 working, mp3s worked, only thing that didnt work was the
    blackhawk program thingy which worked in both v28 and v30 although
    this isnt a big problem."

    I'd expect if you use the SoundMax driver by itself, without
    the fancy other software, things might improve for you. This
    is the fancy other software, the Blackhawk from Sonic Focus ?
    Asus refers to that as "AI Audio 2" in the manual.

    http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/93579_soundmax.jpg

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 12, 2011

  3. me

    me Guest

    Thanks a bunch for the reply and info. I tried another set of 5.1 speakers
    and they worked fine. I reconnected mine and they now work perfect. I have
    a feeling that the VLC player detected a problem with a DTS .wav music file
    and it turned off the center/sub. I assume Soundmax re-detected the
    center/sub when I tried the alternate set of speakers but who knows. It is
    working fine now and I thank you again for taking the time to help me out.

    me, Jan 13, 2011