P5Q Deluxe USB/ESATA quirk resolved

Discussion in 'Asus' started by me, Nov 8, 2011.

  1. me

    me Guest

    I am using XP X64 and have two external seagate 2t green drives in
    Thermatake A2395 Silver River Duo enclosures. I was having problems with
    one of the drives and thought either the enclosure or the new drive was
    bad. I tested the drive internally and it's fine and also tested the
    enclosure with another drive and it's good. I have installed two of the (2)
    port usb brackets to the blue internal headers. I was using both external
    drives on the same bracket and discovered on boot screen that "01" was seen
    as high speed and "02" did not display high speed. I have connected each
    drive to a different bracket and at boot both show high speed.

    At one point I installed the Marvel ESATA driver but later decided to use
    both drives as usb so I uninstalled the driver. When I had problems with
    the one drive I reinstalled the marvel driver and both drives work fine on
    the ESATA port. I have come to the conclusion that whether or not you are
    using the ESATA port it's not a bad idea to install the driver anyway and
    just disable the boot rom. I may be wrong but ever since I reloaded the
    driver both drives work flawless as USB. BTW, the bios settings are
    correctly set for the ESATA to work.

    Does anyone know if it's best not to have two high speed devices on the
    same usb port pair? It seems like all ports should be high speed and that
    you should be able to connect whatever device to any port. Or does the
    marvel driver have a positive effect on the usb ports?

    BTW, thanks again to Paul and Rob for helping me a few months back with
    ESATA issues I had.

    I decided to post my findings in hopes of helping others that are having
    weird quirks with ESATA or USB.

    me, Nov 8, 2011

  2. me

    Rob Guest

    From my experiences with capturing video using hi-res USB2 webcams,
    I would say that you want only one high-throughput device on each
    controller. When I had 2 cameras on the same port pair, I was
    getting dropped frames when capturing from both simultaneously.
    This was solved when I moved one camera to a port on a different
    enhanced controller.
    Because of the above, I believe the bandwidth of each USB controller
    is shared between the two ports it controls, but I can't find a definitive
    source to quote at the moment.
    You could test things by copying large (GB sized) files/folders between
    the 2 drives and timing how long it takes (or configure Performance in
    Administrative Tools to show read and write bytes per second for both
    drives), both when the drives are connected to the same port-pair and
    when connected to separate ones.

    HTH & Regards,

    Rob, Nov 9, 2011

  3. me

    me Guest

    Thank you for the reply Rob.
    I had tried putting the two externals G: & H: on different controllers and
    still got had problems with H:. For a while I thought it was heat related
    because it seemed to crap out after 30 min or so. All cables are new, tried
    swapping cables between the two drives and swapped the controllers they
    were on and still had the same result. It sure seems that as soon as I
    decided to play with the ESATA again and loaded the Marvel driver the
    problem was gone. I have run chkdsk /r which took a long time for the 2T
    drive and the drive was perfect. I have copied huge files and had no
    problems. I can turn the drives on before or after boot and everything is
    still fine. Does it make any sense to you that loading the Marvel cured the
    problem? BTW, both drives G & H are new and both enclosures are too. I
    replaced the H drive enclosure once and still had the problem. I also
    hooked H up to an internal sata port and it ran fine. Sometimes you just
    can't figure Windows quirks out and this is one of those cases.

    me, Nov 9, 2011