    set the dvd as first boot device and the HD as the second. It does not
    check the dvd at boot nor does it try to boot from it. Can someone please
    help? Thank you.

    me, Apr 29, 2010

  2. me

    Paul Guest

    OK, work on the DVD alone. Disconnect the hard drive. See if the
    computer can work with the DVD, with no distractions.

    Also, take a careful look at all the stuff you've plugged into the
    computer. Inspect all the USB devices you're using. Disconnect
    everything except your keyboard and mouse (if they're USB). It
    could be a USB item of some sort, is interfering. For example,
    some printers have a storage chip and provision for printing pictures
    from a flash device plugged into the printer. Even something
    innocent like that, could interfere with booting. Unplug the
    printer and try again.

    Once you're down to just the DVD, now you'll be able to work
    on whether it is detected or not. Enter the BIOS (press Del or
    whatever the key is to get into the BIOS setup screens).
    Go to the page that displays the connected storage devices.
    Is the DVD detected there ? Does the name show up ? On some
    motherboards, the IDE controller doesn't show up in the setup
    screen, so instead, you have to watch the "detection" messages
    as the system is attempting to boot, to see if the name of the
    drive shows up. For example, right now, I have a Jmicron controller
    running my DVD, and during boot, a separate screen flashes by.
    In green text letters, the name of my IDE DVD drive is shown.
    And that proves it has been detected. That tells you the computer
    and DVD controller board, see one another.

    You didn't mention if the DVD was IDE or SATA. With IDE, you
    could have a master/slave/cable_select jumper issue. If there
    is only one storage device on an IDE cable, it goes on the end
    connector, not the middle one. With IDE, "fill from the end first".
    SATA is relatively bullet proof, by comparison.

    Also, flip through a PDF copy of your user manual (downloadable
    from support.asus.com.tw), and see if there are any restrictions
    on storage devices. I find a PDF copy, easier to read than
    the paper copy they put in the motherboard box.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 29, 2010

  3. me