    server while Windows Home Server is up and running - instead of
    having to pull the box out of the closet, install a video card,
    hook up a monitor, and boot into the BIOS utility?

    (PeteCresswell), Nov 30, 2009

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    I find conflicting web pages for this. Some pages seem to suggest
    you can't schedule Windows to wake at a certain time. Or that
    just Hibernate (S4) is a problem, and that Standby (S3) works.

    What I'd try, is "disable" the setting in your BIOS, on the
    theory that Windows will then "own" the RTC alarm. (Only one
    entity can own the RTC timer at a time. It is either the BIOS
    that owns it, or the OS. Your BIOS contains an option that
    can affect who owns it. See "Power On By RTC Alarm" and set it
    to disabled.)

    Try the Windows "Scheduled Tasks" feature, place the computer in
    Standby Suspend to RAM and test whether it wakes up at
    the appointed time or not.

    http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15600170&pgno=4

    In terms of scheduling tasks, Windows may make a fuss about
    the ID of the account that will be running the task,
    whether it be an "Administrator" level account, or some user.
    Depending on what resource the Scheduled Task needs,
    you may need to provide a password. On computers
    where not all the accounts have passwords, there could
    be issues with that. (I.e. Make sure your accounts have
    passwords in advance of trying it.) I haven't experimented
    with Scheduled Tasks, but I see them mentioned on occasion.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 30, 2009

  3. Per Paul:
    Since there is so much I do not know - and since it seems at
    least possible that I am jumping to a solution based on my
    ignorance.. Here is my complete agenda:

    I've got Windows Home Server running in a closet in my house.

    It's two main functions are:
    - Server as storage for files used by various PCs

    - Host an app called SageTV which records and plays back
    television programs

    i.e. 24-7 operation is not required.

    In fact, I do not record or play back any TV shows between the
    hours of 0100 and 0730 - so it seems like I could save 1/3 of my
    monthly electric bill for the server by shutting it down during
    that period.

    I have a power strip that will sense the consumption of the
    server and shut down anything else connected to it once the
    server draws less than a preset amount.

    My hope then, is to figure out how to make the server go to sleep
    or even shut itself down during the unused period of 0100-0730.

    (PeteCresswell), Nov 30, 2009
  4. Per andy:
    I guess that confirm's Paul's suspicion that if BIOS' "POwer On
    By RTC Alarm" = Disabled, then Windows Scheduler owns the
    feature.

    Thanks.

    I will give it a try and report back.

    (PeteCresswell), Dec 1, 2009