    Please help!!! :)

    Thank you!!!!
    John

    John, Nov 15, 2007

  2. John

    William Guest

    Inside of the Realtek mixer, select Mixer, Mixer Tool Box (the little
    open-end -wrench in the lower left corner) a flout of "Show the following
    volume controls:" select "Line Volume" or just select them all.

    At this time you should have a Line Volume control under Record.

    Now under Playback, select Mixer Tool Box and check SPDIF to turn on the
    output for spdif. Be sure nothing is muted.

    You should be all set.

    William

    William, Nov 15, 2007

  3. John

    John Guest

    William,

    Thank you very much for your reply.

    I checked all the settings you described and they were already set the
    way you said they should be set.

    I can use Sound Recorder to record audio. When it is recording the
    visual indicator on Sound Recorder shows audio. When I stop and press
    play, I can hear sounds from the Wii. This makes me think I have the
    cabling from the Wii to the PC correct.

    It feels like there should be some checkbox that says "monitor line-
    in".

    Do you know what I'm doing wrong? Is the Asus board capable of doing
    what I'm describing?

    Thank you,
    John

    John, Nov 15, 2007
  4. John formuleerde op donderdag :
    Hi John,

    If you use Win XP (I don't know about Vista), double click on the
    speaker icon next to your clock (lower richt corner), NOT the realtek
    icon!
    Then choose Options, properties and then recording (or something like
    that)
    There you can choose your recoring source.

    good luck,

    André

    André, PE1PQX, Nov 15, 2007
  5. John

    William Guest

    Unfortunately I am not using SPDIF so I can't duplicate your problem.
    However I did have quite the problem getting my tuner card audio to work on
    this mobo until I figured how to turn on the back blue input connector
    inside of the Realtek mixer.

    Are you aware that the P5W DH Deluxe has a mp3 in to sound out mode while
    the board is asleep? I've never used it, but you have an extra plate with
    the connector and cable to hook up to the mobo for that use. It would be
    fun to try it for kicks.

    I'm not sure what you problem is, unfortunately you need to find someone who
    is using the spdif output to give you any more help. You could try the ASUS
    forum for the P5W and see if they can offer any help. See it at:
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5W+DH+Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us

    William

    William, Nov 15, 2007
  6. John

    John Guest

    I learned that the Line In does not automatically get fed to the SPDIF
    output. I wrote the following program to perform this function. It's
    working very well right now: I can hear my Wii through Line In and out
    to my Home Theater Receiver via SPDIF.

    Here's the software in case anyone else is interested:

    // package intellisig.audio;

    // $Id: Audio.java 170 2007-11-17 00:32:46Z johnr $

    import javax.sound.sampled.AudioFormat;
    import javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem;
    import javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException;
    import javax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine;
    import javax.sound.sampled.TargetDataLine;

    /**
    * This is a simple program to read from the default input sound
    device
    * and write to the default output sound device. In my case the
    default input
    * sound device is Line In and the default output device is the SPDIF
    * digital output on my Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard.
    *
    * I wrote this problem so that I could run the audio from my Wii
    * through the computer and to my Home Theater receiver. I use the
    * composite video input on one of my monitors to watch the Wii.
    * The Home Theater receiver is across my office and I didn't want to
    * have to run an analog audio cable from the Wii to the receiver.
    * BTW, I have a component Wii video cable on order which I'll then
    * run through a "480p component to VGA" box that I have. I've used
    * this setup with XBox in the past. It's nice that XBox has digital
    * audio unlike the Wii which is only 2 channel analog.
    *
    * I didn't realize that I would need to write this problem. In the
    * past I've been able to plug an audio source into the Line In port
    * on a sound card or motherboard and hear the audio through the
    * speakers. Aparently with the Asus motherboard or maybe with SPDIF
    * in general this "monitor" feature is not present.
    *
    * Therefore I wrote this very simple program to read audio in from
    * Line In and send it to SPDIF.
    *
    * Hopefully it will help someone else. It took me longer to write
    this
    * note than to write the software so there are probably many
    improvements
    * that could be made.
    *
    * Instructions:
    *
    * 1. Get the J2SE JDK/SDK from Sun at www.javasoft.com and install
    it.
    * 2. Save this source code to a file called Audio.java.
    * 3. Compile using "javac Audio.java"
    * 4. Run using "java Audio"
    * 5. Control-C to quit
    *
    * John Roberts
    * IntelliSig, Inc.
    * J O H N -AT- I N T E L L I S I G .DOT. COM
    *
    *
    * Copyright (C) 2007 John S. Roberts
    *
    * This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or
    modify
    * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
    published by
    * the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License,
    or
    * (at your option) any later version.
    *
    * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
    *
    * You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
    License
    * along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/
    licenses/>.
    *
    * @author John Roberts
    */
    public class Audio
    {
    public void run()
    {
    try
    {
    AudioFormat audioFormat = new AudioFormat(48000.0f, // float
    sampleRate
    16, // int sampleSizeInBits
    2, // int channels
    true, // boolean signed
    true); // boolean bigEndian

    TargetDataLine targetDataLine =
    AudioSystem.getTargetDataLine(audioFormat);
    SourceDataLine sourceDataLine =
    AudioSystem.getSourceDataLine(audioFormat);

    targetDataLine.open(audioFormat);
    sourceDataLine.open(audioFormat);

    targetDataLine.start();
    sourceDataLine.start();

    int toRead;
    int numRead;
    int numWritten;
    byte[] bytes = new byte[1024 * 64];
    while (true)
    {
    int available;
    while ((available = targetDataLine.available()) == 0)
    {
    Thread.sleep(300);
    // println("Available=" + available);
    }

    toRead = Math.min(available, bytes.length);
    numRead = targetDataLine.read(bytes, 0, toRead);
    numWritten = 0;
    while (numRead > 0)
    {
    numWritten = sourceDataLine.write(bytes, numWritten, numRead);
    numRead -= numWritten;
    // println("toRead=" + toRead + " numRead=" + numRead + "
    numWritten=" + numWritten);
    }

    }
    }