P5W DH won't boot after updating BIOS-Nothing is helping!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by body, Jan 4, 2007.

  1. body

    body Guest

    Friends,
    I have a geniune problem out here. Well, My system was running
    absolutely fine. I used the Asus MyLogo Feature and changed the boot
    screen but didn't like it and I reflashed the BIOS. But instead of
    using the original p5wdh.......1602.rom file I did it with a
    p5wdh......1602.bak file. I was asked by the utility to reboot and then
    everything went KAPUT. I tried everything....Changing the
    RAM,Processor,Graphics Card, removing all connections...Clearing the
    CMOS RTC using jumpers but nothing seems to help. I just can't see any
    display. There are also no beeps that could notify me of the
    problem....Well, if the reason id that i flashed it using a .bak
    file,then what are the utilities ASUS Crashfree BIOS 3 and so many
    others for?????if i can't get the system to start even...how can I
    reflash my BIOS???????
    Please help me.......
    You can also reply me at

    My System configuration:
    Asus p5w dh deluxe,
    e6600 conroe processor,
    2x512 MB corsair XMS2 800 Mhz DDR2 in dual channel mode,
    3X[Raid(0)] HDD on ICH7R-total capacity 650GB,
    (sold off XFX 7800GT,presently S3 PCI VGA 1MB,waiting for evga 8800GTX
    with AC3 to arrive)
    Samsung 204b black 20" Syncmaster tft monitor,
    z-5500 5.1 logitech speakers,
    and the usual extras

    body, Jan 4, 2007

  2. body

    Phil Guest

    I've seen many people hose their BIOS chip using the ASUS EZ-Flash method of
    BIOS flashing. If none of the BIOS recovery methods (as described in the
    manual) work, you're probably going to have to get yourself a new BIOS chip.
    If you call ASUS and ask for the BIOS department, they most likely send you
    a replacement chip at no cost. In the future, use the AFUDOS method for BIOS
    flashing. However, this method does require a floppy drive. I've also found
    ASUS Update to be reliable. As for EZ Flash, I just can't bring myself to
    even try it, having seen so many people have problems with it.

    -phil

    Phil, Jan 4, 2007

  3. body

    Paul Guest

    Badflash.com offers a BIOS flashing service. You can order a new chip,
    programmed with the release you want, for about $25 or so. You pull
    the old PLCC flash chip out of its socket, then plug in the new one.

    I could write a 1000 word essay on other solutions, but they never work
    for people, so I won't bother. Badflash will get the job done.

    The built-in BIOS recovery only works, as long as the boot block section
    of the BIOS chip is intact. Any flashing operation that happens to erase
    it, for whatever reason, can give the symptoms you've got.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 4, 2007
  4. body

    DaveW Guest

    It sounds like the BIOS is corrupted and unrepairable. Sorry to say that it
    may be time for a new motherboard.

    DaveW, Jan 4, 2007
  5. body

    Natéag Guest

    The really failsafe method is a BIOS Savior (Saviour, on British pages).

    Natéag, Jan 5, 2007
  6. body

    body Guest

    Please don't say that....
    I don't suppose my dad would gift me an another $250 motherboard.
    Anyways.....Thanx 4 the reply

    body, Jan 5, 2007
  7. body

    Ron Krebs Guest

    I had one of these for my socket 478 board, but alas, they don't make them
    for these new boards or at least I haven't seen any PLCC BIOS chips for
    these. I think IOSS went bottoms up.

    Ron

    Ron Krebs, Jan 5, 2007
  8. body

    Apocrypha Guest

    My problem is lsightly different than yours. I am experiencing the sam
    symptoms as you are but the bad thing is that I have ordered a bios fro
    badflash.com and still no luck. Still experiencing no beeps, no post.
    The boot block of this new PLCC chip is not bad so that's not m
    problem.
    What else could be my problem?
    My board boots once every 50 tries. If I leave it for two days or s
    unplugged and then try to boot it has a better chance of booting. Coul
    you help me Paul?

    Apocrypha, Jan 19, 2007
  9. body

    JamesH Guest

    I lost my BIOS on a P5W and no video, I booted to floppy and typed
    everything in without seeing it on the screen, it worked just fine. You just
    have to write out on paper everything you want to type in and follow it
    when it gets to the floppy, Using the F-8 boot option press enter for First
    Floppy option.

    JamesH, Jan 19, 2007
  10. body

    Paul Guest

    Why did you purchase the chip from badflash.com ? Did you attempt to
    flash the BIOS and wipe out the BIOS information ? Is that why you
    changed the BIOS flash chip ?

    I think you ("Apocrypha") should describe your symptoms and what
    you did, in more detail.

    And remember that we cannot fix everything via USENET news groups.
    At some point, about all you can do, is swap hardware, to find the
    defect. It could be the motherboard that is having a problem,
    or the power supply. Or a bad video card. If you describe all the
    things that have happened to the computer, any symptoms that can
    narrow down the problem, any error messages or entries in the
    Event Viewer, that helps to narrow down where the defect might be.

    Also, listing your hardware helps. Brand and model number of power
    supply. The processor being used. What you've got for RAM and so on.

    Start a new thread, as this one is aging on my news server.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 19, 2007
  11. I had a similar problem with one computer for years. After I replaced
    the power supply with a high quality one the problem disappeared. The
    annoying problem was that it would work fine at the shop where we bought
    it but would fail almost every attempt to power on. I thought the
    problem was the switch but eliminated that and finally put in the new
    power supply.

    Michael W. Ryder, Jan 19, 2007