    missing 1GB of memory?

    Thanks
    Barry

    Barry Comer, Sep 25, 2005

  2. Barry Comer

    Barry Comer Guest

    I tried XP-64bit and it sees all of the memory.

    I know 32-bit is limited to 4GB but my Dell at work has the same amount of
    RAM and it
    reports 3.7GB under XP SP2.

    Barry Comer, Sep 25, 2005

  3. You must remap the PCI address ranges to somewhere further up - there
    should be a BIOS option for this.

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Sep 25, 2005
  4. That machine probably is using less address space for memory-mapped I/O.
    See if the BIOS has an option to remap some memory above 4GB. However, I
    don't know if regular XP Pro will recognize such memory, I think it may
    be just the server OSes that do.

    If you really want all 4GB then XP 64-bit is probably the best option.

    Robert Hancock, Sep 25, 2005
  5. Barry Comer

    Tim Guest

    Also do a thorough reading of the /3GB and /PAE switches on the MS site.
    If you have 4GB then by default the memory is split 2gb for app address
    space and 2gb for system. With the 3GB switch, this enables 1 GB for system
    and 3GB for apps - if you have apps that really need over 2GB then this will
    be very beneficial.

    /PAE is largely irrelevant - I have included it as some people may confuse
    you with it. I suggest you get the real story from the MS web site and
    conclude for your self that it is irrelevant (or not) in your specific case.

    Notes:

    There is a RAM reporting bug in XP SP2 where under certain circumstances
    only 3GB is reported.

    There is a known error with one or more of the Office apps with exactly 4GB
    physical RAM.

    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 26, 2005