P5WD2-E Premium - Overheating

Discussion in 'Asus' started by tinytone, Dec 7, 2008.

  1. tinytone

    tinytone

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2008
    Hi all,

    Any help with my overheating problem would be GREATLY appreciated!!

    I'm not much of a PC expert so please accept my apologies if I haven't supplied enough information or used the correct terminology.

    I've been struggling with my system for over 6 months now and I'm at my wits end as I don't know how to fix it. My CPU is running at an abnormally high temperature of 80 degrees celcius which is causing all sorts of PC resets and crashes.

    These are my PC specs:

    Motherboard: ASUS Motherboard - P5WD2-E Premium
    CPU: Intel Pentium D Processor
    Case: CoolMaster (I tried to include a link to a picture - but I couldn't as I haven't made 25+ posts :( )
    Other: (If you need other information that I haven't supplied - please let me know and I'll gladly try to look it up and post it!!)

    Things I've tried:
    - Removed dust that was clogging up the CPU fan
    - Removed the heat sink and reapplied Arctic Silver paste (made no difference)
    - Installed 2 more 120 mm fans bring it up to 5 in total
    - Installing hardware montoring apps to try educate myself on what is acceptable and unacceptable ranges (voltages, fan speeds, temperatures etc).

    Things I haven't tried:
    - I haven't fiddled with BIOS settings (voltages etc)

    Some more details, using "PC Probe II" :

    VCore: 1.39V
    +3.3: 3.34V
    +5: 5.25V
    +12: 12.25V
    MB: 43 degrees celcius
    CPU Fan: 2960 rpm
    Chassis1: 0 rpm
    Chassis2: 0 rpm
    Power: 0 rpm
    CPU: 79 degrees celcius

    I will gladly provide any other information that you'll need to help get to the bottom of this (e.g. DXDiag info, or anything else that I can find that you'll need)

    Any help with my CPU temperature overheating problem would be HUGELY appreciated.

    Sincerely,
    Distressed (as well as Stressed out) Tony

    tinytone, Dec 7, 2008