P5WDH non-raid on Jmicron?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by fiber, Dec 18, 2006.

1. fiber

fiber

I want to start using my 2 remaining sata connectors on my P5WDH, they are the JMicron controlled SATA_RAID1 black connector, and the ESATA (rear i/o port). The manual seems to refer to those 2 connectors for implementation in RAID configurations. I currently have Raid-10 using SATA1, SATA3, SATA4, EZ_RAID1 with 4 working drives.

Questions:)
    Can I attach a SATA-II HDD to either or both of those 2 connectors and operate them as NON-Raid drives?

I am planning on adding Mobile Storage racks in the 2 remaining 5.25" front panel bays in my P180b case. One of those Mobile Storage HDD will be a portable 2.5" laptop HDD, which can be purchased in 3 configurations allowing me to use either my available IDE connector, an available USB connector, or one of the 2 sata (JMicron) connectors, port types I have free and available. If I can't use the JMicron, I'll fall back to IDE or USB connectors using an IDE laptop HDD.

The other Mobile Storage rack will be SATA-II standard size 3.5" HDD, which I plan on connecting to the SATA_RAID1 black connector as I mentioned above, but I need to know I can run that connector NON-RAID.

As I am already using the EZ_RAID1 connector in my RAID10 configuration, is the other EZ_RAID2 (currently free and unused) available for a NON RAID SATA HDD???? I seem to recall someone (Wizard?) saying that with Raid10 using one (EZ_RAID1) of the two EZ_RAID connectors, that #2 is forever lost?:confused:

Thanks,

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
    fiber, Dec 18, 2006
  2. fiber

fiber

update

Updating my previous post, I've installed a mobile storage rack connecting to the jmicron sata1 (black) connector and it is recognized and operates normally. With that working I then connected (additionally) a spare ide drive using ide cable to the jmicron ide connector, and it is also recognized. Bios Jmicron is set to Basic. So, have now disconnnected that ide and am now awaiting the additional mobile rack which will have the 2.5" removable portable Carrier with USB port for connection to any other PC. The 2.5 frame will be connected to the ide, when I get it. These are the hardware:

3.5" Sata Mobile Rack

2.5" IDE Mobile rack FRAME ONLY

USB Carrier for Frame above

fiber, Dec 25, 2006
Ask a Question